What to call a son who is going to be a "third"?

Soo.... my best friend is pregnant (with me! yay! we're due 3 weeks apart : ), and everyone really thinks that she's having a boy. The baby's father is a junior, well.. technically a second, and he's dead set on naming the baby, if a boy, as the third. She is NOT loving the idea of having her kid called Trey or Trip, but what other cuter options are there? Any suggestions would be appreciated, because I just can't seem to come up with anything for her, and it's really starting to stress her out!

heather.huckaby

Asked by heather.huckaby at 12:08 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would flat out refuse. My child deserves his own name. I personally do not like juniors etc. Passing on a middle name or the name of a passed relative I can handle, but I don't like a child to be named after someone who is still living. It's too much to live up to, constantly being compared, and I just don't like it. Luckily my DH agrees with me so we didn't have this issue lol.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:11 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• this may sound silly but why not call him by his given name LOL they don't need to give him a cliche nick name to go with the 3rd.

I tell people not to call my kids by any nicknames other than their names. I named them those names for a reason. KWIM?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Only thing besides Trey I could think of was Tres(3 in Spanish).

I dont care for naming a child the same thing over and over but whatever.

Could they use his first and second initials like if its Timothy James III and call him TJ or somehow fashion cool initials from his first and middle name?
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 12:14 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Well, the baby's grandfather goes by the first name, and his father goes by the middle name, so calling him his "given name" just doesn't really seem like an option.
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 12:15 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• She actually had someone suggest "Trace" (pronounced like tres--- "three" in Spanish), so that may be what she does if she can't get her boyfriend to compromise. The initials would be R.C., and she had given a little thought to that, too, but is still just not really satisfied. My vote is that she and I use our pregnant hormones & gang up on her hubby-to-be and MAKE him let her choose a different name! lol
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 12:18 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• what about bonesdragondew's idea?

or shorten one of the given names. like my daughter is Rebekah but we call her Bekah. does either of the names have some common nicknames?

my friend's hubby's family was not original in names the dad is Robert Michael (Bob), the oldest is Robert Michael Jr. (aka Little Bob) and the youngest is Michael Robert.
    my friend is married to Michael and the amusing thing is his last name is Darling LOL I swear I am gonna make that boy some pink footy PJs with the butt flap and a brown teddy bear one day! as soon as I find a pattern to fit a 6 foot + tall ma :)
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:18 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Well my son is a jr, and we just call them little Matthew or big Matthew, but either way he is my son so I call him Matthew because his daddy has always been just Matt to me, and I don't even call him that so it really isn't as complicated as it sounds
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 12:29 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I have an uncle who is an RC and he's a stock broker LOL. RC is a good nickname I think, still has a strength to it.

I agree with the gang up via pregnancy "rage" though LOL.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 12:34 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• If it is really that much of an issue, couldn't you think of a name that has nothing to do with any of the names? Is he in an assembly line of others just like him? I agree with Samantha, give the baby his own name. Two people have already had that name, why can't this child have his own?? I'd be mad if my parents couldn't be creative enough to give me my own first name. Middle names are a whole different story. If they feel that strongly, give him two middle names, BUT give him his own name. He's a different person, not a clone . . .
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:37 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• You know what? After thinking about this further, I am quite annoyed. How many women name their daughters after themselves . . next to NONE . . maybe a middle name. The man is already (99% of the time) guaranteed that the child will carry on his last name. What is the real need to give his child the SAME first name? Wouldn't it be more special if your child at least has a chance of being unique . . . AT LEAST in your family? Men are selfish, I think. I wouldn't dream of naming my daughter after myself and I didn't. Why? It only causes extra confusion, both ways. Each child is a different person and should have their own name, and like a pp said, the child then has to AT LEAST fill the shoes of the person they were named after, otherwise, well, they may be viewed as a failure. EACH PERSON IS DIFFERENT AND DESERVES THEIR OWN NAME. Middle names can be passed down, first names can be passed down, but an entire name?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:47 AM on Feb. 8, 2009