How do you feel about your son or daughters spouse?

I do not have kids old enough to marry yet, but i know my SO's don't care much for me.

do you have a close relationship with your son or daughter in law, an okay relationship but not very close, or do you completely dislike them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Sep. 26, 2012 in Adult Children (18+)

• I hope a train hits him... Oh did I say that outloud my bad
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 11:02 AM on Sep. 26, 2012

• I have 2 daughters-in-law and 1 son-in-law. We get along well with all of them. We are respectful of their homes and their parenting. We don't meddle and give advice only when it is asked for. We have many family gatherings for holidays, birthdays, and the like, but we don't hang out together the way our daughter and I do. She and I still go shopping together and enjoy just sitting and visiting one on one. I suspect that the in-laws have similar relationships with their own parents, as well. I guess you could say that we are all comfortable with our relationships.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:04 AM on Sep. 26, 2012

• I don't think that the partners our children pick ever meet our ideal at least to begin with.
    I did not lie (and still do not) my son's first wife. But I went out of my way to be nice. I was starting to feel that most of mylukewarm feelings was her immaturity (thought she was 2 years older that DS) Then they divorced and I had no reason to develop any better feelings for her. The second wife was younger by almost 4 years and I knew at first it was immaturity and that DD an she had had some difficult times in school. Again I gave her the benefit of the doubt and things have gotten warmer between us. She did not have a good homelife to build on and had her own difficulties warming to us. We are doing well. DD had been off and on with a boy since high school. I didn't think they were right for each other but he is a nice boy for the most part. VVVVVV
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:13 AM on Sep. 26, 2012

• I get along great with my inlaws. They are amazing people. They opened their arms to me, and my 3 boys that I brought into their lives when I married their son. She loves my boys like she does her bio grand children. I'm so grateful for my inlaws.
    Maybe sit down and talk with you boyfriends parents, let them know how you feel in a non confrontational way. Tell them family is number one with you, and you want everyone to be happy... GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:22 AM on Sep. 26, 2012

• I have 2 boys in their 20's and one who's 30. they are all in long term relationships at this point, two are living with their girlfriends. I love all of the girls right now....not that they haven't had girlfriends I didn't think much of, and when they did I just tried to be polite.

All of the girls are different, but so are my sons. I want very much to have a good relationships with each of them, and I'm happy that each of them also seem to want a good relationship with me.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2012

• I have no feelings for either one of the girls I am polite and thats it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:55 AM on Sep. 26, 2012

• I think I had it in my head too much that when i met the guy of my dreams his parents, grandparents, siblings etc, would love me and we would get along so well, go shopping together, things like that and i would feel like a part of the family and be welcomed warmly. Boy was that not the case lol.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Sep. 26, 2012

• I am polite
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 10:58 AM on Sep. 26, 2012

• I really wish i knew what expectations i wasn't meeting of my boyfriends parents. It makes my life difficult here because my family lives far away so all I have are my bf and my two kids.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Sep. 26, 2012

• So although there is naturaally a warm up period, this is the way I look at it.
    I am not marrying this person. My child is. This is the person they want to make a life and a home with and I love my child. I will do my best to give them the benefit of the doubt and try my best to make a family with them if they are also willing. I will not force myself on them just as I will not force myself on my child.
    Once my child marries that person, they become a part of my family.
    Girlfriends, boyfriends and attached children, are a temporary thing. They have not made the commitment to be my permanent family. Blood, obviously , is. I would never be rude and frankly I like children, but I would feel differently about a woman living with my son than I would about his choice of a wife.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:21 AM on Sep. 26, 2012