How do you Deal with Biting

I have two toddlers who are 11months and 5 days apart they are constantly going at each other and Biting each other how do I get them to stop?

ausleemommy

Asked by ausleemommy at 12:22 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There are various methods depending on how you parent.

When my 4 yr old was doing it (started at 17/18mths and ended at close to 3) I tried time outs, swats on bum, washclothes with lemon on them(most effective for him), redirection, tobasco sauce on tongue(he liked it),etc.

Those are some things people recommended I try. Hopefully you get other ideas.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 12:25 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• this is really harsh but it works 99% of the time. when you catch them doing it bite them back of course not to hard. it shocks them and then they know how it feels. i know it sounds messed up but you arent really harming them. i had the same problem with my 2 year old and a girl i was watching and i tryed everything and it didnt work so i didnt want to do it but i tryed it and lone behold it worked. hope i dont affend anyone.
    Alina456

Answer by Alina456 at 12:52 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Tell them we don't bite people, we bite food and re-direct them to something they can bite. Also be aware of WHY they are biting - to express a need. Find out what the need is (will likely be different each time!) and teach them a healthy alternative to obtain the same positive results. Be consistent - it takes a long time for children to remember things, like appropriate behaviors. Whenever you are trying to stop a behavior, offer them a positive alternative. Remember that they don't have words and are trying to express something the only way they know how - in this case, biting. So teach them how to express themselves appropriately by stopping the behavior and showing and telling what they can do as a "good choice" alternative. Teach them the words for the emotions they are experiencing as well, and let them know you understand what they are feeling, but that biting is not okay. Above all, be patient and stay calm.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 1:05 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Cont...and another thing. When you catch one child biting the other, after saying no thank you, we don't bite people, give your first positive attention to the child that was bitten - comfort them, give them your undivided attention. THEN turn your attention to the offender and remind them again that biting hurts, we don't bite people, etc.... This teaches them that the negative behavior does not get the first response of attention, that the other child gets that coveted attention.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 1:09 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• When my son had a problem with biting I did the same thing I did with my pit bull puppy a few years back. Bit him right back. Not hard enough to seriously hurt him, just enough to be painful so he knows biting isn't ok. It worked easily.
    OmsYankeeMama

Answer by OmsYankeeMama at 12:51 AM on Feb. 9, 2009