Should I dump a bunch of money into my 3 Year olds mouth at the Dentist?

The Dentist says my son has 8 Cavities. I do not understand how, but he does... They want to put him under and give him fillings and caps that costs around $ 1,200.00. I know that he is only 3 and they are baby teeth, but I don't want him to have bad teeth when he is older. Should I go through with this or is it all nonsense? I need some other mothers opinions please ! I am really 50/50 on this. Also very worried about the sedation at such a young age.

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2012 in Health

• I would get the filling but can see no reason for the caps

Answer by Dardenella at 3:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2012

• did you see the xrays? did the cavities look like part of the xray or did they look like black marker?

when i was 18 i had a dentist tell me i had 7 cavities...even tho id only had 2 in my entire life. when i asked him to show them to me they looked like pen marks. i left there laughing & without getting work done. i didnt go back to a dentist till i was 22 and guess what...i didnt have any cavities. get a second opinion!

why would a child need caps?

Answer by okmanders at 3:11 PM on Sep. 26, 2012

• Considering he wants to cap the teeth, the cavities should be visible to the naked eye. Before I dumped $1200 into a three year old's mouth, I'd get a second opinion.

Answer by hootie826 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 26, 2012

• I agree, second opinion. Not sure why your child would need caps unless the teeth are rotting, but you would surely have noticed that, right?

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:20 PM on Sep. 26, 2012

• Def second opinion. I learned the hard way with my daughter at a Kool Smiles many years ago.

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2012

• I would take her to a pediatric dentist and get a 2nd opinion. They are only baby teeth but I don't know if they will infect or affect the adult teeth.

Answer by robinkane at 3:41 PM on Sep. 26, 2012

• Definitely get a second opinion, even a third if the 2nd is wishy-washy. But yes, a child's mouth is worth it, damage to baby teeth can affect way to much in their bodies.

Answer by idareyou at 3:49 PM on Sep. 26, 2012

• A child's mouth is worth it, but for that much I would want to be sure. Second opinion before dental work.

Answer by preacherskid at 10:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2012

• Get a second opinion!

Answer by MarGeee at 9:20 AM on Sep. 27, 2012

• Almost forgot,they can affect the adult teeth!

Answer by MarGeee at 9:21 AM on Sep. 27, 2012