Does a baby have to have teeth to eat finger foods?

My friend's baby is 7 months old with no teeth yet. She's been eating pureed fruits and veggies for about a month now. I was just wondering if babies can eat finger foods when they have no teeth. ie cheerios, cut up bananas ect.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My dd is 7 months old and just barely has her bottom 2 teeth. We have started giving her cheerios on occasion about a week ago, and she has learned to mash them with her gums.

You just need to be VERY careful with LOTS of supervision, to ensure that they don't choke. Every baby is different. They say to offer finger foods after a baby has gotten used to eating foods that are more chunky.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 1:46 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Also, the Gerber Fruit & Veggie Puff things are cool. They just disolve. My son loved them!
    britngavin

Answer by britngavin at 2:01 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• WalMart has these really cool crackers, they're called Baby Mum-Mums and they're rice rusks...they dissolve almost instantly and I gave them to my son before he had teeth and he loves them! (I've tried them, thats how I know they dissolve) They're good too because they're big enough so he can hold them and munch on them!!!
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 2:22 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• They gum the food. Even if the baby started getting teeth, you don't chew with your front teeth, so it doesn't matter if the baby has all of its front teeth..it's still not using them to chew! Not until the baby gets molars will it use teeth to chew.

Yes, it can have finger foods. If my toothless old grandmother could eat it, so could my boys. And they did!!

They were eating (self feeding) all table foods by the time they were 9 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:00 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I would say cut up bananas would be alright with no teeth. Personally I'm still very nervous to give my son table food. He is 8 months and has his two bottom teeth. I'm just scared he's going to choke, which he almost did yesterday gumming on a teething buscuit (he got a chunk off).

I have given him a warmed up waffle and he loved it. That would be something you could possibly give your baby. Or you can give it frozen and that could help with teething pain.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:58 AM on Feb. 8, 2009