How to answer my 3yr old girl when asked 'whats in daddys pants?'

She hugged him while he was wearing pj pants and her head is crotch level. She then asked 'Whats in there?' we changed the subject to something else but we aren't sure what to tell her if she asks again or how we should handle it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Honestly, if she brings it up again, just tell her that boys & girls have different private parts. I don't think 3 is too young for that. Hugs!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 3:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2012

• Agree! I would tell her the truth and explain that boys and girls are diffferent :)
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 26, 2012

• Should I use words like 'penis' and 'vagina' or?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Sep. 26, 2012

• I would just say, that's where daddy goes pee pee
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2012

• Just tell he boys and girls are different.
    If you have started telling her about her pivate parts you can say those are daddys private parts.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:18 PM on Sep. 26, 2012

• Has she ever seen little boy naked?

Answer by louise2 at 6:15 PM on Sep. 26, 2012

• she hasn't at this age, she was on his lap earlier to watch a tv show and she put her hand in his lap he moved her hand but we aren't sure if she did it intentionally - should we say anything or is 'no' ok to tell her? like 'no dont touch people there?"
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:19 PM on Sep. 26, 2012

• we called it boy parts and girl parts at that age-
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2012

• You can call it whatever you want but it's not wrong or unwise to use the term "penis."
    I'd say, "That's Daddy's penis."
    If she wants to know what a penis is, you could explain it as a "boy part," in the sense of what boys have. And girls have vulvas. (The vagina is an internal organ, & what you're mostly describing at this age is what you see & where people pee, and women don't pee from their vaginas.)
    But lots of people say made up names or penis/vagina rather than penis/vulva, so it's truly up to you to do what you want.
    I used the terms penis, scrotum, vulva & vagina with my children, certainly as preschoolers (it's not "too young.") To explain what they are/what the words mean, you can explain them as boy/girl parts, the private parts of our bodies (that we keep covered with diapers or undies & clothes), where the pee comes out, but that they are called the penis & the vulva.
    A book like The Bare Naked Book can be great.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:02 AM on Sep. 27, 2012

• i just say daddy has a boy part and mommy has a girl part for now.
    BlessedBeX3

Answer by BlessedBeX3 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2012