Breast to bottle...

Well my newborn baby is almost 2 months old. She breastfeeds just fine. But she wont take to a bottle. I have tried sneaking it to her while she breastfeeds. I dont know what to do. And I am going to start work soon.. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What type of bottle are you using? Maybe you could try one of the wider ones that are more like the breast. The Playtex Ventaire Advanced ones are really good.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:23 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I would try a time of day when she's the hungriest. She'll eventually take it because she has to eat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• omg I know how you feel...well it ended up that I didnt go to work till he was 7 or 8 mo and thts when I introduced him to juices and good stuff in a cup to hold him over and by law your job has to let u run nd pump if the sitter isnt too far run and nurse during lunch
    thismomrocks4

Answer by thismomrocks4 at 1:42 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Playtex Ventiarie Wide is what I use....and my dd goes from breast to bottle and back to breast just fine...You need to have somebody else offer her the bottle. A baby is WAY more likely to take a bottle from somebody besides Mommy. Have whoever does it to try squirting a little in her mouth from the bottle so she knows what she's gonna get from it.....also, tell them to imitate how you feed her.....like if you use a boppy, so should they, and if you're topless during feedings, they should somehow try to get a little skin-to-skin contact as well...that may help.....and make sure you're nowhere near her when they feed her......Also, you'll be more likely to get her to take it if it's breastmilk in the bottle, not formula. Good luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 1:42 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Unfortunately, it is NOT a law in every state that employers must accommodate breastfeeding mothers.

You can check your states breastfeeding laws here:

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/breast50.htm
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 1:44 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Try using Playtex drop-ins and have someone else give her the first few bottles. Babies associate mom with breastfeeding so she may be more apt to take it from someone else. Take it slow and practice pumping to get your back up supply up. I've been pumping at work since my son was 6 weeks old and we're still doing fine at 8 months!!
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 2:18 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• You're not alone. Mine never took a bottle or a pacifier either. And I tried all the ones that claimed to be natural But I'm a SAHM and it didn't matter as much. Keep trying.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:43 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I had this problem too. I tried a few different bottles and nipples also. I ended up with the playtex drop ins which I didn't think I'd like but my son decided that he likes them. Give him the empty bottle to play with in a low pressure sort of setting. Make a game out of him biting on the end of the empty bottle and laugh a lot. Then when you fill the bottle up, warm up the nipple first. Then play the game again (complete with funny sounds I forgot to mention). I hope it works out!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:33 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Try giving something other than formula in the bottle a little water or juice this what I had to do as well as my hubby had to give the bottle the first few times because he just associated meal time with me and breastfeeding, it took a little while I stopped breast feeding at 8 mths but this is because he started to refuse the breast and only wanted the bottle. Good luck!!!
    GaijesMom

Answer by GaijesMom at 10:08 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I had the same problem, and it was 6 months before I could get her to take a bottle. For the life of me, I can not remember the brand of bottles and nipples we used. They look like the big round paci's they give the baby's in the hospital. Is it Soothies? Maybe. Good luck, just keep trying different kinds, maybe she'll find one she likes.
    Mizzjos

Answer by Mizzjos at 2:43 PM on Feb. 9, 2009