Dog shedding tool that works? desperate

this bulldog loses hair like crazy. i cannot believe he isn't bald yet. I am tired of the mess. is there any shedding took that actually works or should we just fully shave him?

Tesserae

Asked by Tesserae at 11:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2012 in Pets

• You might try using furminator shampoo
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2012

• I have two Siberian Huskies (major shedders) and the best thing you can do to help with the shedding is brush, brush, and brush again.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:50 PM on Sep. 26, 2012

• We have a great pyrenees and we use a furninator comb on him once a month. It helps. The problem isn't completely gone, but it helps quite a bit.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:01 AM on Sep. 27, 2012

• i just checked out the furminator site - expensive!
    Tesserae

Comment by Tesserae (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Sep. 27, 2012

• I have a mutt but she has fairly short hair. I believe if you bathe them once a week it helps, also I have even put the brush attachment on the vaccum and vaccumed her.
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 12:04 AM on Sep. 27, 2012

• lol, he's terrified of the vacuum. maybe i'll try that.... =D
    Tesserae

Comment by Tesserae (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Sep. 27, 2012

• My Pekingese/Lhasa Apso mix sheds enough fur in a week to build another dog. The Furminator does help. At the start of the summer I usually give her a close puppy cut.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:08 AM on Sep. 27, 2012

• Target has their own version of the furminator called FurGOPet, and it has pretty good reviews. You might need to take him to the groomer for a full blow out and then use the furgo as maintenance, and take him to the groomer twice a yr

http://www.target.com/p/furgopet-dog-deshedder/-/A-13403577

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:16 AM on Sep. 27, 2012

• I've had a furminator for years now. They aren't cheap, but if you use them regularly they work.

Another thing to do is make sure you're feeding the best diet you can afford, or supplementing with oil (I just use a good olive oil/coconut oil and occasionally fish oil) to keep his skin and coat in better condition. I had a chow that shed terribly twice each year and a third time in mid winter that also had skin issues until I completely changed his diet. Even after the diet was under control I gave him oatmeal baths twice a month and conditioned his skin with coconut oil once a week (just globbed some on my hands and really worked it into his skin and fur. There is so much junk in most dog foods, and usually skin/hair problems come down to diet ~ not always, but usually (and certain breeds just require a LOT of regular grooming). Give changes at least a week or two before you try something new.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:38 AM on Sep. 27, 2012

• The furminator is the best one I have found. Yes, they are pricey but they are worth the money.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:58 AM on Sep. 27, 2012