How can I get my 13 year old son to eat?

He is barely getting enough calories and dr. Says do not worry. Most days has signs of low blood sugar -- headache, fatigue, etc. Until he eats. But very little interest in food. It is starting to affect school work and sports. He never seems to have an appitite. Since he was infant, has been a problem, but getting worse.

Kidwonteat

Asked by Kidwonteat at 12:23 AM on Sep. 27, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• My son had a bad virus and lost a little weight and lately seems a bit anorexic, I am thinking of giving him ensure with his meals.
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 12:26 AM on Sep. 27, 2012

• Oh and my son is 12
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 12:34 AM on Sep. 27, 2012

• Have you tried to talk to a nutritionist about it? If it affects him physically, it's not healthy. Could it be psychological (like anorexia) ?
    For now give me high-protein meals the few times he eats, that should help.

I'm sorry I can't really help, my 13 y/o son is a bottomless pit, he eats about everything he can find.
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 5:22 AM on Sep. 27, 2012

• I have this issue with both mine boy & girl age 13. They won't eat breakfast or lunch. Come home and will usually pick at dinner.
    Have a lot of healthy snacks around, don't put time restrictions on eating like only at breakfast or no later than 8pm.
    My son was also not sleeping. Doctor recommended melitonin (sp?) For sleep, now that we've got the sleeping pattern headed in the right direction he's also eating more.
    I'd say go back to the basic's of having a schedule bedtime and routine. Including sitting down to eat meals.
    Good luck
    And yes, i know the routine thing is rough - he's in football & she's in volleyball.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 7:39 AM on Sep. 27, 2012

• Has he been seen for anorexia?
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:28 AM on Sep. 27, 2012

• I agree and always offer him food --- the kitchen is never closed to him. Ironically my 15 y o girl eats so healthy, and will try any food, this no picky issue there. We always have a assortment of good things and try to even keep more things around to entice him. Really try to keep processed junk out of house. They both are active good kids but overall his lack of interest in eating is a concern.
    Kidwonteat

Comment by Kidwonteat (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Sep. 27, 2012

• Take him to his doctor and discuss it with the doctor. It might be a vitamin deficiency. I read that low zinc levels cause you not to be able to taste or smell food.

booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 8:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• Vegetables can be hidden in other foods. Cauliflower in mashed potatoes, chopped carrots in spaghetti sauce and even pureeing vegetables into sauces or stews. Vitamins like iron will increase his appetite and energy. Carnation instant breakfast is great as well. He may drink nutrition before eating it. But, from all that you are telling me, seek medical advice.
    blondie805

Answer by blondie805 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 1, 2012