Pacifier Addiction

Well I only have two kids one is 13 the other just turned three. By any chance has anyone ever been able to break a pacifier addiction without the cold turkey route? I have tried popping holes in them it doesn't work.

TheFriskyKitty

Asked by TheFriskyKitty at 2:09 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I kind of have. If you don't want to do the cold turkey method then maybe try slowly getting them off of it. I would at first only give the pacifier to him/her at bedtime and after awhile one night take it and see how he/she does. Good luck I hope this helps a little bit.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 2:12 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• lol.. wow. i dont know my son just left them alone after he was like 3 months..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 2:13 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Just explain to him/her that paci's are not for big boys/girls. My mom did that with me and 2 days later I walked into the kitchen, said "I don't want this anymore" and threw it in the trash (I was 3) With my sister they had her leave them under the tree for "Santa" to take away. That worked too
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 2:38 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Once our son started biting them, I had him start throwing them away and we clapped and made a huge deal about it. I didn't have to poke holes in them, he did that on his own when he bit them, and then he no longer wanted them. And I stopped buying new ones...he weened himself off. He's 21/2 now.
    bellalatinamom

Answer by bellalatinamom at 10:36 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Try only giving it at nap/bed time then eliminate it at nap time, and finally bed time.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• At about 3.5 we gave the binkies to the Easter Bunny and he left a special gift. We told her that new babies needed the binkies and she didn't because she was such a big girl. (This child would pop one in her mouth and walk around with 2-one in each hand.) She began preschool, and was not allowed the bink, so that was good during the morning. We also restricted her to sleep time. She only cried one night, and then was fine so I think mom and dad were also addicted. Best wishes & good luck!

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2009