to buy or not to buy?

I really want to work from home, I am about to graduate beauty college, and today I found a person in texas selling ALL of their salon equipment, station, shampoo bowl, both the hair cutting chair and the shampoo chair, rolling carts, EVERYTHING for $550. Now brand new just a chair would cost $290 at least...for a decent one. I am trying to tell DH that even though it will take a while this is a good idea, yea its alot of money NOW, and we wouldnt have much room for anything else but I want this so bad...should I buy it?

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 2:42 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would...that sounds like a great deal. It's an investment that will pay off for you. My stylist converted her garage and I can bring my 2 year old daughter there...she has toys. It's great! I think if you can afford it, do it!
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 2:45 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Where will you use this equipment though? You do realize you have to have a permit to do this at home and have inspections done. I think it's a great idea though, kind of reminds me of my favorite movie Steel Magnolias. "Truvy's" lol, but really cover your butt and find out about, business license, permits and insurance.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:50 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• HELL YEA!! THAT IS YOUR CAREER YOU ARE HELPING AND THAT IS A STEAL AS YOU KNOW!! TELL HUBBY TO CALM DOWN ITS ALL GOOD!! :OP
    boogirlsmommy

Answer by boogirlsmommy at 6:22 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• That is a great deal and as long as you have the room to use it and get proper permits you can always cut and style hair from home. The previous owners of our house had a small salon in the basement. There is still a huge wall sized mirror on one wall down there left over from her salon days. Neighbors used to tell us about how all of them went to her for the salon needs
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:13 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I feel this is an investment that could potentially make you a lot of money. Hair styling is a career that can last a lifetime.. you simply can't go wrong. And if you wait, and buy the stuff later on, it could wind up costing a lot more.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:12 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• CHECK WITH SUZE ORMAN! she knows hoe to deal with anything financial
    alwms

Answer by alwms at 4:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Yea go for it!!!! That price sounds really reasonable.
    LND

Answer by LND at 10:13 AM on Feb. 11, 2009