bed wetting

so i saw a question on here from a mom asking how to get her 3 year old to stop wetting the bed and then it made me think, are babies supposed to not wet the bed when they become potty trained? i really want to know! i wet the bed until i was 6 or 7 or 8 i forget so of course through my experience its 'no' and i never really thought about it, but of course wetting the bed that long is abnormal... so how old is wetting the bed normal before its a problem?

aliciatron

Asked by aliciatron at 2:47 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• At night time its much different for kids. Some kids dont have a problem but some do and they can have this issue for yrs. It depends on how they sleep. I have 4 children and the first 3 had no issues but my last one was all the way up till she was 12! She had sleep apnea and still does so that played a big factor-some kids are heavy sleepers, weak bladders, drinking b4 bed, etc all play a role in bedtime potty training.
    proudgrammie07

Answer by proudgrammie07 at 5:15 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• limit drinks at night time,

wake her up in the night and see if she or he has to go,
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 5:12 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• It's different for every kid, two of my kids never wet the bed and two did, I had to limit their drinks and get them up in the middle of the night and take them to the bathroom just to avoid accidents. They eventually stopped.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:57 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Our doctor told us it is normal to wet the bed until a child is 8 or 9. He said he wouldn't do anything about our bed wetters until then.
    My son stopped wearing a pull-up at night last summer just before turning 7. He still has 1 accident a week (sometimes more).
    My 6yo daughter still wears pull-ups every night and usually soaks them. They are both very sound sleepers and do not wake in the night if they have to go (they are actually impossible to wake up once they are asleep).
    I don't make a big deal of it. As long as my 6yo wears her pull-ups I'm happy. My son knows if he wets the bed it's his job to strip the sheets and blankets and make sure everything gets into the laundry.
    My oldest never wet the bed. She was able to stay dry all night long (12 hours) before she even turned 2 and was potty trained. My youngest is almost 3 and can make it all night but can't make it upstairs to the bathroom so wears pullups.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2009