Do you have a china/curio cabinet?

Is it old? Is it fancy? Or is it pretty plain and just serves a purpose?

I really really want one for our new house. I do have some very nice 'carnival glass' antique dishes that I got from my grandma's when she passed away (well some of the pieces she gave to my mom several years earlier and my mom didn't want them so I took them, then when my grandma died I found the rest of the set and my aunts said I could have them). Anyways, I would love a place to display them in our new house and there is a great spot for it in the corner of the dining room, but I can't really afford to buy a china cabinet anytime soon. The thing is though, my mom has TWO of them, one is skinny and tall and mostly all glass, it is very plain but very nice and she has had it since before I was born, my dad actually got it from someone who was gonna throw it out cause the glass was all broken and he fixed it up very nice and put a mirror at the back and put in new glass, it was an anniversary present or something for my mom. The other one she has is VERY large and pretty fancy and has big drawers/cupboards at the bottom and then nice glass cupboards at the top and some shelves too. Both of the china cabinets are currently in storage down here because my parents haven't moved all their stuff to their new house in Denver (been there for 5 years owned the house for almost 2 now...). I asked my mom if I could have the smaller one and she said no, she was willing to give me the big one but it is SO huge I don't think it would fit in our new place and it is part of a set so I'd have to take the table as well which is also HUGE and she is actually using that up in Denver... Am I crazy to just refuse either and go out and buy my own? Or should I keep trying to convince her to give me the smaller one? :P

lol, okay lots of questions in this one "question" and I got carried away with my mother vent so if you read this far thanks! ;-)

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 12:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2012 in Home & Garden

• No. My mother had a beautiful one, but my stepfather kept it when she died. Jerk.
    We were supposed to get one from our neighbor a few weeks ago, but last minute he decided not to sell it.
    toughluck08

Answer by toughluck08 at 12:49 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• No, my mom had one that I could have taken, but it just wasn't my style, so I didn't.

I actually bought a used one that is much closer to what I want, and matches my other furniture, but it's not the exact one that I want. It was in my budget, and went well with what I have, so it's working, but eventually, I'll buy the one I really want.

If you can afford the one you want...go for it.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:51 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• nope
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:58 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• Yes, I inherited my grandmother's mahogany dining room set. It's a corner cabinet, 6 feet tall, bottom half is 4 drawers, top is glass doors that open to 3 shelves for display (has the grooves cut to hold plates).
    I love having old things with meaning behind them, but if you can't convince your mom to part with the small one then your only choice is to buy a new one.

Answer by missanc at 1:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• No
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:14 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• Missanc, that sounds exactly like what I would like to have! I hope I can find one similar for not too much money when I CAN actually afford it, won't be the same as having an old one though because nothing new is made with as good of quality nowadays. I don't know what happened to the one at my grandma's but I'm assuming one of the other relatives got it, it wasn't really my style either and she had it tucked away so it wasn't very memorable either, I'm just glad I got the dishes because they are much loved and remind me fondly of her :'(
    DreainCO

Comment by DreainCO (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• This is mine. It keeps the dust off all my houses. If I didn't have it, I wouldn't unpack them. When we get something more permanent, I will probably get a better one.

Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:47 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• I have a natural cherry wood and glass china cabinet that my grandmother bought for part of our wedding present. The bottom has doors and has plenty of room for storage of our china and my great grandmother's china. The top is mostly glass and we have serving pieces and other pretty things that we want on display in there, including grandma's wedding crystal.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• No I would have no use for one. I have no china and no nick nacks.
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• Yes. It's fairly old and pretty simple. It was DH's grandma's. It's a corner one and only the top half has glass - the bottom section of doors is a solid wood door. I really like it and I'm glad we got it when she had to move out of her home.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:21 PM on Sep. 27, 2012