I have been hearing a lot of different things about money towards school.

I was only in the military for 9 months total I was on active duty almost 6 months of that and have been hearing that I qualify for the post 9-11 GI Bill and the regular GI Bill. Is there anyone who has been in this situation or a similart situation or know of anyone who has? I think I would qualify for at least 40% or 50% for the post 9-11.

ILYNAA

Asked by ILYNAA at 2:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2012 in Military

• Best bet would be to go to whoever is in charge and ask them. They are the ones who will have the final word so it's better to just go to them.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• I really have no information on that but I would also google GRANTS and see what you might qualify for.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:54 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• call Militaryonesource
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• I responded to your other post yesterday with a link. The only way you will truly know what you qualify for is by applying. Go to the school you plan on attending and speak with VA department there. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:21 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• Good Luck!

I was in the Army for 2 yrs, 10 months and 10 days. Even though I paid into the GI Bill (before 9/11), as soon as I applied for it for school all I got was that I was ineligible, but no one could tell me WHY. To get the answers I needed I had to go to the closest regional center, in Oklahoma. I live in Washington State. There was NO WAY I was going to be able to go there and get my answers. The GI Bill was the only reason I joined in the first place. I did have to drop out of college because I couldn't afford it.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:58 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• You wouldn't qualify for the Montgomery GI Bill at all because you have to complete the minimum service time. As for the post 9-11 you may qualify for SOME assistance based on your service time as it is a tiered plan. Minimum requirements is 90 days and you would only get 40% of maximum alllowed benefits under your time served however this also depends on the years you served.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2012

• Also your discharge MUST be HONORABLE. "Under honorable conditions" or "General" discharges disqualify you from either GI Bill
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2012

• ^^^ Kristi is right, it have to be honorable. I think you have to be in the military for a year, but research it to find out.
    Diamond2010

Answer by Diamond2010 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 12, 2013