Anyone 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced and know of a way to speed up labor?

I went to the dr Thursday and I was 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced. I got home and started bleeding so I called the dr and they sent me to the ER. They monitored me from about 9 pm Thurs night until about 2-3 pm Fri afternoon. All they did was give me a shot of morphine for the contractions early Fri morning, something for nausea, and later Fri she gave me 2 Tylenol 3s. She checked me again and I was "about the same" as far as dilation. I was having back pains as well as contractions along with the bleeding but when the dr came to check up on me before I was discharged she said that I wasn't in labor and I could go home and IF I don't have my son by next Thurs go to my scheduled appt. Any suggestions to make him come quicker?
She said it would be perfectly fine if he would come but she just doesn't want to induce me. I'm dead tired and hurting pretty bad, still having contractions and a BAD backache, hardly slept since discharge

sum1smommy307

Asked by sum1smommy307 at 5:57 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• First of all congratulations!! Ok sex is a great thing! With my last baby it seemed i was in labour very sore back all day tummy tightenings and some tummy pains. It lasted all day then by the evening it went away so me and mypartner had sex thinking i wasnt in labour and then about 2 hours later the contractions got pretty bad and i went to the hospital and was 1 cm dialated. He was 5 weeks early and breech so they sent me for a caeserian straight away because my contractions where pretty close but i wasnt that dialated but they didnt want to take any chances that i went from 1 cm to 8 in a matter of an hour or so because my 1st was pretty quick. Spicy foods can also help walking possibly light jogging. Have you tired anything else?
    Mumma07

Answer by Mumma07 at 6:25 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Sex is good and a lot of walking and up and down stairs. Sex is the best though and the most fun LOL!!
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 6:29 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Quit getting pumped full of drugs! Stay hydrated, walk, squat, take a bath. Try to relax and visualize the baby moving down and the contractions preparing him to be born. L&D doesn't have to be so dramatic. Once you get to the hospital, keep active, don't labor flat on your back it will only intensify the contractions. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Sex...my doc actually told me of all the ways you hear to start labor sex is the only one that actually works. It's not do to the thrusting either, it's due to the prosteglandins in the seman so make sure he "finishes" inside you. The seman ripens your cervix.

If you want to go an herbal route, raspberry leaf tea is known to easily start labor in late pregnancy. You can get it at a healthfood store. It tastes like regular tea pretty much. Note, this is raspberry LEAF tea....not raspberry tea.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 10:28 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• take a LOOOONG walk...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:51 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• It just depends on your body. I was like 3 cm dilated for like weeks and weeks and 50% effaced. I tried EVERYTHING in the book to try to go in labor and nothing work. The only thing that worked was pitocin (getting induced) 2 weeks after my due date. So, hopefully you'll get lucky and something else will work for you.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:51 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• First off, good luck, I labored like that for 9 days. second i heard that nipple stimulation works great, and sex. The Rasberry Leaf Tea is what did it for me though. drank it saturday night, my contrations got alot stronger and then sunday afternoon i FINALLY had DD
    Xandriasmommy

Answer by Xandriasmommy at 10:52 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Try a lot of walking. Have sex. Take a car ride on a really bumpy road. They worked for me!
    rugratsmommy4

Answer by rugratsmommy4 at 10:53 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Sex and nipple manipulations. When hubby plays with your nipples, it gives off a certain endorphin that contracts the uterus. Much the same way it does when you breastfeed, so have hubby grope away!! ;D

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 10:57 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• How far along are you? Did you have your membranes stripped or was there another source discovered for the bleeding? Do you know baby's position?
    (From that, it really sounds like it's not time yet, your body is trying to get ready, though.)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:17 AM on Feb. 8, 2009