How long do you go without seeing family?

We used to see family every 6 months or so (or at least I did, usually DH was TDY or deployed). However since we moved farther away, it will be harder. I won't see my parents until next summer (over a year between seeing them). I think my sister is coming with them, so it will be the same amount time of time between seeing her. With DH's family, I have no clue when they are planning on visiting (I know they are planning on visiting, just not sure when). It will end up being over a year I am sure, and possibly over 2 years between seeing his sisters (they didn't come when his parents did).
I think I am starting to get really homesick, but we can't go visit until at least next summer.

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 8:53 PM on Sep. 27, 2012 in Travel

• Hugs AF, I am so sorry. That has got to be so hard. I see my mom about once a month, which is more than enough. I see my dad once a year.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• My mom I see 2-3 times a year, she lives about 3 hours from me half the year, and 1200 miles from me the other half. My dad, I saw for the first time in 20 years last summer, and will see again over the holidays.

My oldest son moved to the other side of the country, and we see him about once a year. I really miss him.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• That is a long time af... the longest for both my parents and inlaws was 6 months and that was really hard.
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 9:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• Aww that has to be difficult. Do you Skype? That can be a way of communication with the grandparents, at least so they can recognize what they look like. My parents I see often, my sis about 2-3 times a month, my brother maybe 2 times a year, everyone else it is few and far between (visits)

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 9:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• Months between visits with my mom. Years for others.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• Sorry, when I was younger we were together frequently. It's been 2 years since I've seen 1 sister, 5 years for the other 5 siblings
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• I see my mom now every few years or so
    I see my half-sister about every 2 yrs on average
    and my other sister I havn't seen in...3 yrs I think

I see everyone else once in a great while...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• When we were in Germany, I went without seeing my family for 16 months. My sisters were in high school and I didn't know this until a few years ago but my younger sister was so mad at me for leaving her. It is hard being without family. I know that one of the first mandatory classes that I took was about the 5 levels of homesickness and living in a different country. Is there any way that you could fly Space A back home for a visit? I know traveling Space A with kids is not the best option, but it is an option.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• Hugs that must be tough, Do you Skpe(or anything like this) to help with the homesickness? I know it's not the same but it's something.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• I see my parents every few months and same for my sister or brother.
    When my sister was in South America I saw her once a year or every other year. True, i's hard but there're still emails, webcams and good old letters to help with the separation.
    I hope it gets easier for you and your family !
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 6:16 AM on Sep. 28, 2012