A good health insurance company?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good health insurance company? My husbands company had a good plan but it had a $5000 deductible in which they wouldn't cover anything until that $5000 was met. We don't don't have that upfront!! So any suggestions?

BabyBeans0506

Asked by BabyBeans0506 at 10:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2012 in Health

• Yeah it would cover that, but it's 482 a month
    BabyBeans0506

Comment by BabyBeans0506 (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• We have Eatna and are rsonably happy with them
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• United Health, I think they are reasonable, we like them
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 11:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• Do you guys have to pay the deductable up front though if you like go to the doctor? Say you pay your monthly and you have a 5000 ded and the company says it covers 100% after deductable. Do you pay and pay at the doctor until 5000 dollars is reached? Or do they cover but it's only 5000 has to be reached before they pay any amount once or by every separate visit/ procedure? I'm having a hard time figuring it all out honestly. It's looking at that $5000 ded., 100% thing that confuses me. I guess I don't understand what good it is to have if we are paying already close to $500 a month and they are gonna not help until we reach 5000. :/
    BabyBeans0506

Comment by BabyBeans0506 (original poster) at 12:28 AM on Sep. 28, 2012

• omg! That plan sounds way too high. Most of my plans for the past 20+ years have been around $100/month and $250-500 deductible. I guess it depends on how much the employer is willing to offset. I think companies like Kaiser Permanente, Blue Cross and United Healthcare offer individual plans that are non-employer sponsored. If you want something even cheaper and offering almost the same benefits, consider the medical discount plans (not insurance but pretty darn close to it). Careington.com has many options for standalone and combined medical, dental and vision discount plans. You should be able to find pricing sheets for what you'd expect to pay upfront per procedure/circumstance whereas insurance plans are discounts that vary and are hard to tell what costs you end up paying. If you don't get sick a lot and just need basic, just in case coverage, I highly recommend the discount plans from Careington at $7-40/month!
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:50 AM on Sep. 28, 2012

• Wow, thank you for that suggestion. Do they do family plans as well because that's what I would need.
    BabyBeans0506

Comment by BabyBeans0506 (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Sep. 28, 2012

• I know private companies has their high rates when it comes to insurance policy but I never imagined it can go way up like that! Looking and shopping around for a better insurance company will definitely help you regarding this problem.

franmoor

Answer by franmoor at 12:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2012