Cold sore after dentist?

Is that normal? Could it be stress? Idk, it hurts and I'm worried about it.

latinamom94

Asked by latinamom94 at 12:00 AM on Sep. 28, 2012 in Health

• I get them from the stress because I am scared of dentists.

It's unrelated, but I'm scared to fly and after returning from flying, I have one. Stress!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:02 AM on Sep. 28, 2012

• Lysine is the best thing to take for cold sores. You can find it in the vitamin section of any grocery/drug store.
    I have a tendency to get them after dental appts. too as well as eating acidic foods.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:18 AM on Sep. 28, 2012

• Is it a cold sore on the outside of your mouth, or a canker sore on the inside? If it's on the inside, you can get a pinch of baking soda on a spoon, wet your fingertip with water and then dip it in the baking soda to make a paste on your finger, and dab it on the sore. It hurts like a big dog for a minute or so, but the baking soda neutralizes the natural acid in your mouth and gives the sore a chance to heal. I've never had to do the remedy more than two or three times to take all the fire out of a sore.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:12 AM on Sep. 28, 2012

• Sometimes when the dentist is using instruments he can irritate an area of the mouth by putting pressure on the inner cheek or holding the mouth open with an instrument. If you don't use a lip moisturizer before you go in your mouth may get dry at the corners (since you are not able to moisten your lips as usual). That combined with being pulled and held by and instrument can traumatize the area leaving it open to cold sores. At least that is my experience.
    candbtea

Answer by candbtea at 1:16 AM on Sep. 28, 2012

• I have gotten dozens of canker sores inside my mouth from the instruments rubbing.
    My cold sore is a small blistered lump on my lip.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:53 AM on Sep. 28, 2012