Bible

Do you believe the Bible word for word?

Do you ever wonder if when the Bible was written, the church put their own things in it...or kept things they didn't like out?

What about those books that the church never allowed in the Bible...ever wonder just what was in those pages and why the church rejected them?

I'm Catholic and I believe Jesus is Christ, but I do not follow the Bible word for word. For instance, I do not believe homosexuality is a sin and I believe that there are spirits that walk the earth. I have a friend who likes to throw "because it says in the Bible" out for her reasonings and I stand there and tell her that I don't agree with it...and I just KNOW she's thinking in her head that I'm damned to spend eternity in hell because of that.

I'm just really curious to see if I'm the only one who questions...

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 12:39 AM on Sep. 28, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• As a Catholic, I do not believe the bible word for word, but as inspired by God, written by men who were not God. Bound to be some mess ups in there somewhere. Though I believe the theme and overall idea of the bible is God inspired and true. I do not believe that people made things up to screw with the world. There are most likely spirits that are walking through the world, i pray for them.
    There are lots of studies on what was chosen and why, I could point a couple of books out for you if you like. I am studying how the bible relates to the mass right now, with a group. I'd be happy to copy a set of what we are going over.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2012

• Just because you question does not mean you do not believe. I feel that the strongest faith comes from questioning and finding the truth and strengthening your belief. That I just what I think.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:23 AM on Sep. 28, 2012

• I am a Christian and I too don't believe the Bible word for word. I was raised in a Baptist church and never knew that there where missing books of the bible and after studying more about King James, I just can not believe it word for word. I also don't believe that homosexuality is a sin, but I am one of the few in my area. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:44 AM on Sep. 28, 2012

• Do you believe the Bible word for word?  No, not at all. 

Do you ever wonder if when the Bible was written, the church put their own things in it...or kept things they didn't like out?  I know they did those things.

What about those books that the church never allowed in the Bible...ever wonder just what was in those pages and why the church rejected them? Well, I know that the supposed gospel's of Mary Magdalene were intentionally left out as well as Jesus proclaiming the infamous "look under a rock"...stating that anyone can be spiritual, without needing to go through the church. 

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:46 AM on Sep. 28, 2012

• Do you believe the Bible word for word? No and that was one of my issues with being Christian. 

Do you ever wonder if when the Bible was written, the church put their own things in it...or kept things they didn't like out? Yes they did and it has been proven that there were books left out. 

What about those books that the church never allowed in the Bible...ever wonder just what was in those pages and why the church rejected them? They were left out b/c it didn't fit the story that the church wanted to present.

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2012

• I don't take the Bible word for word but I do follow the 10 commandments. As long as everyone can follow those maybe, just maybe, the world will be a better place.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:45 AM on Sep. 28, 2012

• There were books written by Mary Magdelene and also Jesus's mother Mary, but those were left out because the opinions of women weren't particularly respected, especially by the male-operated church. Besides, Mary Magdelene took Simon Peter to task on a number of things, and the church couldn't condone a woman telling off a man, now could they? *Smile.* Doubting Thoas also wrote a Gospel, I believe.

I am a Christian, but I don't take the Bible word for word. There have been many translations and versions. Overall, I think the Bible gives us a pretty good guide on how to live. Those who don't care for religion like to quote some pretty awful things out of context, or place modern value judgments on customs that were perfectly acceptable in an ancient time and place, like saying Jesus condoned slavery. But when read with a basic understanding of history and an honest intent, the Bible can be quite inspiring.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:01 AM on Sep. 28, 2012

• I believe the Bible is the word of God but I believe many of the stories are metaphors for deeper meaning.

The books of the Bible we're chosen for several reasons. To be part of the Bible they had to be written by a follower of Jesus or a companion of a follower of Jesus. This makes the gospels of the Bible among the oldest written accounts of Jesus as retold by people who lived within the century of Jesus' life and death. These gospels were also the most well known accounts of the life of Jesus at the time.

Read other gospels if you like.. There is nothing wrong with questioning. This is part of being human, it's what we're suppose to do. This is how we grow spiritually. Enjoy the journey.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2012

• I believe in it's general teachings. There are many good messages in it and lessons to be learned, or good advice to be followed. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:22 AM on Sep. 28, 2012

• I believe the Bible is the infallible word of God. Yes, man wrote it and compiled it, but I believe the words were spoken from God to the writer, and that the men who compiled it were guided by the Holy Spirit as far as what to include. Knowing it's His Word, I don't believe God would have allowed man to corrupt it.

Answer by missanc at 6:19 AM on Sep. 28, 2012