6 month old doesn't want to take formula

I am trying to get my son to take formula some of the time so that I can leave him with a grand parent and don't have to worry about him starving. He has taken it in the past, but now he just refuses it. I tried switching formulas and he seemed to like the Similac a little better than the Enfamil but he still won't take it. What can I do to get him to drink???

Please leave the lactivist stuff out okay? I know you are going to just say "he only wants breast milk because it's the best" or whatever. That won't answer my question.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my friend uses the Enfamil and YA it's pretty gross smelling lol. I use the Nestle Good Start with Omega's..I use the concentrate though, because individual cans cost 3 something each (In Canada) I think that would work best for you to keep cans on hand..because they don't expire for a long time and you can take them with you easier then the big tub's of powder..they stay in the fridge for 48 hrs after opening and there's about 10oz's in each can. With the powder, if you don't use it often it may expire before it's even gone!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I'm not a lactivist lol, but have you considered getting a cheap pump and just freezing your milk for bottles when you need them. In a deep freezer you can store breast milk for up to 3 months or it might be 6 months.. You'd have to double check, I'm not too sure. Only other thing I can suggest, try Nestle good start with Omega's added. It has an amazing flavor to babies..all Nestle's foods do, I've noticed the diff when trying diff ones in the beginning. If he STILL won't take that one...then it's a bottle issue, try Platex drop in's the liner bottles..the bigger silicone nipples are VERY close to boob's lol...he might love that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Thanks :) I have a pump, but he eats so often I just can't get a chance to use it. Every time I pump I am delaying one of his current meals and I feel so selfish making him go hungry so I can store up breast milk so that I can have free time later. We had a bottle issue last month and we resolved it with the Playtex drop in actually :) Just as you said. I will try the Nestle formula though. I didn't know it tasted so much better. The Enfamil stuff smells GOD AWEFUL! LOL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I was going to say to try mixing it with Breast milk, but i then realize that you don't have the chance to pump. What about pumping right after he finishes eating. It will actually signal that you need a little more milk and then you might be able to get a little bit stored. It really may come down to the fact that he does prefer his breast milk. Can you really blame him. I am not a lactivist. I did pump exclusively for 7 mos with formula supplementation since 5 mos. I wish you all the luck b/c I know that mommy's need me time as well.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:10 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Well you can't MAKE him like it or take it.

It may not be that he doesn't like the formula. He may not like the bottle instead of the boob. At this age (actually 5 months old) I started leaving and giving my son a sippy with EBM and that worked for us. Now I know you said pumping for the full amount is out but as someone else suggested maybe try mixing formula with a little breast milk. At 6 months old you can also give some solids (I don't usually push solids thouhg if he hasn't started on them already) and that should be enough food for him to survive a few hours while you go out for a little.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:37 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Try making your own formula and see if he likes it better. All you do is mix 1/2 carnation evaported milk, 1/2 water and a tsp of caro syrup.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:03 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I would try Good Start- it's sweeter and breastfed babies sometimes like it more (because breastmilk is so sweet)
    And like someone else said... I would try pumping. I pump right before I go to bed. If you pump around the same time every night your body gets used to it and has milk at that time.
    And will he take a bottle of anything?? Or does he dislike that too?? Because maybe he hates the bottle and you could try a sippy.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:04 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Stir a lil chocolate in there....
    hahaha... sorry.... I swear that's what my MIL said to me when I tried to get my daughter to take formula.... and when i was starting her on water in a sippy... she'd say... Stir a lil sugar in there....
    At six months they can go a while with out eating.... many mom's nurse before they go to work... at lunch and then when they get home... and thier babies do fine.... have you introduced any kind of solids? or a sippy cup? I would let your baby have "snacks" dried cerial, gerber puffs (they disolve) and a sippy of water or watered down juice as a "Just In Case" measure.... she'll be busy playing and eating just enough to not cry for mommy for a while, but not fill up on empty calories.....
    BabyDio

Answer by BabyDio at 9:46 AM on Feb. 8, 2009