my son is almost 8 months old and wont hold his own bottle.

its like he is really lazy. he will hold it alittle but then let it go. how can i get him to hold it up to get the formula out instead of just sucking the air out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:31 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ahaha, my son did the same thing until about last week. He will be 8 months on the 14th of Feb. All babies do things at diff times, it's just when they figure it out, and it's usually all of a sudden. All you can really do to try to speed it up, is take his hands and put them on the side of the bottle, and say, "hold your bottle" and let go, walk away..show him that he can do it himself. My son didn't figure out the tip it up to get milk part right away either. Now he's a pro and he one hands it lol. Just be patient, he'll have it soon enough!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• mine is almost a year old and dose the same with his sippy cup! i never gave him a bottle before, but yesturday i just filled the cup all the way to the very top,and he was figuring it out slowly.i hope it helps!
    lyla512

Answer by lyla512 at 7:50 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I would put his hands on it and say regularly "hold your bottle" and let go a little. And keep doing this. He will be able to hold his own soon enough. Mine has been holding her bottle and now sippycup since she was 3 1/2 mos. I wish you all the luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:57 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• my son would never hold his bottle or his sippy, he didnt care if he didnt get the liquid. around 15 months he started holding it like a pro. im not worried about it, some babies are just later than others at developing certain skills
    xZachsxMomx

Answer by xZachsxMomx at 9:42 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• my son was crawling b4 he held his own bottle... all kids r different. in my case he wanted 2 b held while he had his bottle & not holding it was his way of getting his way :)
    AngelzMom124

Answer by AngelzMom124 at 9:50 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My son did this all the time. He is about 8.5 months old and has been holding his own bottle for a few weeks now. However, when he does, its in his high chair and I have to recline the seat a little. He has a hard time holding it up with his arms and tipping his head back. But at least he is holding it now, which is awesome!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• my almost 8 month old used to hold her own bottle (around 4-6mos) but now she refuses to do it, i agree with you i think shes just a lazy bum! if you come up with something to get yours to hold it PLEASE let me know cause i too need some advice lol
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 11:54 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• He's a little young Mama. Do NOT label your little baby as lazy! He is developmentally not ready. Believe me, he will do what he can, when he can. That's was kids do. My daughter didn't hold a bottle until she was 11 months old.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 12:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• LOL....my son did the same thing....he was a lazy little monkey...lol. He wouldnt even sit up until he was almost 10 months......he crawled before he sat or held his bottle...lol!
    AmandaDenise26

Answer by AmandaDenise26 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I never let my kids hold their own unless they insisted, and then I held them anyway. Why the big thing of wanting a kid to hold their bottle? It is easier to break them if they don't.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2009