What age do you introduce religion?

So I am athiest, but I want my daughter to be open to believe in any religion that she chooses.I know it will be difficult explaining the complications of the entire situation, so pleasse no bashing. So at what age do you introduce religion, and how do you go about doing it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• birth if you want to teach A religion. Preschool if you want to teach religion. I would get some books at that level to intoduce them. Talk about it. Then take her places she can experience the religion. A jewish day school, a buddist temple that has preschool classes, vacation bible school at a church. If you have friends who do briths (I think that's the jewish circumcision) and baptisms, she will understand the baby ceremonies. Older, take her to church, synagogue, temple for a service after reading more on that level. Throw her a Bat mitvah, celebrate Christmas and Passover and there is also wiccan etc, I just didn't get into it. It's a beautiful topic. I am Christian and raised my kids that way but now, they are learning and experiencing other religions. Good ?
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:17 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• When she is old enough to understand that there are different religions and that everybody believes in different things.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:03 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Depends on the child, I think. I have started with Bryce, he just turned 6. For me the easiest way has been using the holidays to introduce religion. Around Christmas we talked about the different reason people celebrate Christmas, then we talked about Yule, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa. He asked me a few 'why' questions and took it all in stride. As different holidays come up I mention them to him (if they are not ones celebrated by our family) and why they are celebrated.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 8:05 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Mine have learned since they were old enough to walk.

Answer by gemgem at 8:16 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I'm not sure, our son was baptized at 2 weeks and enjoys going to church. He will be raised Lutheran, but I will explain other religions. I guess it's whenever they get curious. Just give basic info and answer questions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Feb. 8, 2009