Bushel of tomatoes?

I have a sauce recipe that calls for a bushel of tomatoes..... how many tomatoes are in a bushel, or how do you measure out a bushel?

deedee3849

Asked by deedee3849 at 9:17 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Home & Garden

• A bushel? That's like a laundry tub full. You must be making sauce for a huge group? This would make enough sauce to feed ....50 people at a rough estimate. I used to can tomatoes and a kitchen sink full would give me maybe 26-20 quarts of canned tomatoes. Of course for sauce that would be cooked down. To measure a bushel, you take a bushel basket and put tomotoes in until the basket is full. I just googled it, and a bushel of tomatoes is 53 pounds.

Answer by Bmat at 9:37 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Wow. A bushel is around 50 lbs.

Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:36 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• WOW!! Thanks....I might have to half or quarter the recipe. The recipe is for 40 quarts of spagetti sauce, so I knew it would be big....I'm planning on canning it. Thanks!!
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 8, 2009