How can I get my cat to stop pooping in front of our door?

He is an outside cat and he has been using the area right outside the door as his litter box.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Pets

• Establishing territory, I guess. I've heard to sprinkle ammonia on trash can bags to keep dogs away, perhaps it would help here, too? There are sprays you can buy in pet stores- "Cat Off" or something like that, that you spray on furniture, perhaps these would work.

Answer by Bmat at 9:27 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Our cat did that and I was told that he was mad at us.
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 9:36 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Are you sure it's him doing it? I thought our cat was pooping in front of our door but then we had to start keeping him in. The phantom pooper struck again! we can't catch whatever is befouling our back porch at night but I know now that Rumi and Inga are not the culprits.
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 9:57 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I have A Cat doing this too!! She's been really good lately! But to him he's as close to outside as he can get.. He's Trying! Think of this.. Its probably the smelliest there.. with stuff off of our shoes there & smells he can only Smell!! You need A deterent!! Or some good Spray to discourage it.. Otherwise placing A litter box near it to distract him?? When our Cat does it( she's Fixed ). Sometimes is Mad!! I Beleive they do things to punish us Back! I've had Cats for many Years & Some Are Stinkers!! When ever we made one of our cats mad she'd pee on our Clothes!! When we're Fine She didn't! She Even Peed on DH once!! She is A Siamese & gets Even!! The Carpet Crapper As DH calls her.. Is Clever too! She lived with my Daughter & when she had enough there.. She made a nearly 4 mile journey back home on her Own!! When ever she has an accident DH steps in it! Is yours Fixed? Is he Healthy? We have to rule out Health issues?
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:18 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• TAKE THE CAT FOR A "RIDE".

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• This is a territorial issue more than likely. Ask your veterinarian about a feline horomone plug in. It looks like a glade plug in but it puts out feline horomones which makes the cat calmer around that area and hopefully cure the problem. Don't worry humans cannot smell it.
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 11:46 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Pets are not disposable, "Anonymous" at 9:46 :) The humane society is a better alternative for anyone who can no longer care for a pet :)
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 5:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I AGREE WITH "TAKE THE CAT FOR A "RIDE". MAKE IT A ONE WAY TRIP!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Move - don't give him the new address.
    misskimmy62

Answer by misskimmy62 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 9, 2009