how to make the change from baby food to regular food?

my baby is 16 month, I'm still giving him baby food. He got his theet a little late, he only has 6 so far and the last 2 grown about a week ago. Every time I try to give him something new he gags. Feeding him it's being a little hard because he's allergic to cow's milk and eggs. The first and only time i gave him eggs he was vomitting an with diarreah all day. I started stage 3 of gerber baby food, with the little pieces in it, but he gags also. the only thing he's eaten so far is white rice, and french fries. Any suggestions?

Jessiemn

Asked by Jessiemn at 9:55 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, teeth don't matter, they gum food....so don't worry about that.

I'd gag on stage 3 foods, too...going along with puree, swallow and there was a chunk hidden in it! yeah...I'd gag.

Start offering him what you're eating. Fork smash it at first so it's not quite a puree, but not chunky either. As he gets used to that, then leave it a little chunkier a bit at a time until he can take diced pieces. Put some on a plate, put the plate in front of him and let him go at it!

Since he's later than most with eating, I would keep his food cooked softer...if you can mash it with the roof of your mouth and your tongue...he can gum it easily.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:56 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• We have a hand-crank baby food grinder and it makes it thicker and a little chunkier than canned baby food. Our son loved it!!! Also... he liked to used the Nuby net thing. It's a little handle with a net on it and you put food into it and they chew and suck and it comes out through the holes. Cole loved feeding himself. Good luck!
    ColesMommy42207

Answer by ColesMommy42207 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My oldest was horrible about gagging on food. She could only have soft, mushy foods until she was 18 months. At that age she was still choking and gagging on cheerios and stuff. She was a pain.
    But my other kids were all eating cheerios and other bit sized foods at 6-7 months. In fact my youngest has been feeding herself since she was 7 months old and stopped baby food by 9 months (she refused to eat it). She always just had what we were eating cut really small or mushed up.
    It's scary but they only way he will learn is to offer the stuff and watch him. Let him feed himself and if he starts to gag take it away and try another day. That's how I had to do it with my oldest. I had to figure out what she could and couldn't eat (and she gagged/choked on stage 3 food so never had them...whereas my son was eating stage 3 at 9 months old).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Try Gerber Graduates stuff and cut them into little pieces. They make apple chunks and peach chunks as well as a variety of ravioli. I also gave my son small pieces of toast, pancake, waffles,cereal bars etc. I'd introduce the same food to him several days in a row so he gets used to it.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 2:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2009