I have a five year old with ADHD is medication the only option?

Hi my name is Grace, i have a five year old son with ADHD and its really hard to get him to focuse or grad his attention, or sit still for that matter, and he will be starting school this August and the doctor is recomnding medications but I was wondering if there is an alternative to meds like diet or something. Thank you for your time!

izzyandbuggsmom

Asked by izzyandbuggsmom at 10:04 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I don't think so. Maybe change his diet and go with organic foods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My 11 yr old is ADHD we changed his diet and started him on fish oil...I have seen a big difference..
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 10:07 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My son had adhd and I tried everything under the sun before medication. I finally did the meds and behavior therapy and it worked wonders. The meds arent bad like many think. ADHD is a disorder and it has to be treated. He will feel better and so will you when you see him improving in behavior, grades etc. But dont rely on just the meds you have to do behavior therapy as well because itll teach him how to control himself without medication in time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Yes there are other options first if you want to try. Diet changes ( no food dyes, no preservatives), some people like fish oil supplements, etc...Also like someone mentioned behavioral therapy.

Another thing is even checking for sensory processing disorder to make sure that is not the cause of the ADHD. My daughter for example is very ADHD like, but she has SPD and is a seeker. So it interfers with her attention span etc...She was getting Occupational therapy to help her and she wears a weighted belt also certain times.

Also with the school if the ADHD affects his education they can give you accomodations like sensory breaks, special seating in the class, etc..

I also recommend reading some good books on dealing wtih children with ADHD, often those books are full of tips for school, homework, diet changes, therapy etc...

Good luck with whatever you decide :)
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• No Medication is not the only answer. If you would like more information contact me. Your Friend for life Juanita Waterman
    JuanitaWaterman

Answer by JuanitaWaterman at 1:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Definately there are other options. And medicine doesn't have to be used alone IF it is needed either.

There are different Behavior Modification techniques to use, setting up a DAILY routine schedule, setting up a rewards system and so much more.

An ADD/ADHD child's "hard drive" is wired different from a "normal" child's. They have a harder time keeping an interest with things, especially if it is a subject that bores them or they feel that they are not being challenged enough.

So, to help them, you need to modify a few things and help him/her feel challenged and set a routine so that they know what is expected of them. That alone will take time to get down. Make a VISUAL time-oriented chart (7 AM, Eat breakfast, 8:15, go to bus stop, ect.) for the whole day.

Get a dry erase calendar board to do this. Then, on the weekends, or when you have to add a Dr. appt. or whatever, you have the ease of squeezing it in.
    pr0udm0m_0f_3

Answer by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 8:41 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Medication only treats symptoms and not underlying causes.

Things to do:

Change the diet. http://www.youngerthanyourage.com/13/ADHD.htm

Embrace your child and acept him for who he is.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My daughter is 7 and in 2nd grade and is on the autism spectrum with a lot of ADHD symptoms. When I cut out artificial dyes, additives, and sugars she stopped being so hyper. It is 3 years later and she is not hyper anymore. She still has difficulty with attention though. She is most likely going to repeat 2nd grade since she is the youngest in her class. I am not planning to use any medication. But I would consider when she is older after all other strategies had been tried.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 9:37 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Testimials - I can send you on ADHD

my kids were always sick - this year they are less sick. I give them 1 oz of bb - a whole food liquid organic supplement. Endorced by over 6000 doctors - I haven't had to give them breathing treatments in 9 + months and my middle son suffered from chronic diahrea since he was 1 1/2 and he has gained 2 lbs in 3 mon. and is 95% better.

my web-site www.Healthy4body.com I give them 1 oz a day. there is also a live doctors call every thursday night - I can give you that information as well just pm me.

I also had 15 years of abnormal paps - I just got a normal one. I have been taking 4 oz for 11 mo.

Sandy
    nma928

Answer by nma928 at 1:07 AM on Feb. 21, 2009