Waking up with severe headache every morning?!

Does anyone else have or had this problem?? I suffer from chronic tension headaches anyway but the ones I wake up with feel different. I have had an MRI that was normal. Everymorning I wake up and I have a horrible headache. Usually in the lower back of my head, sometime traveling up to the top of my head. Kinda like I have a mohawk of pain. Anyone know what can cause this? I looked online and sleep apnea can cause headaches and frequent waking, both of which I have but I'm not overweight. I thought that was usually brought on by being overweight?? Any ideas?? We bought a memory foam 3 inch mattress topper thinking that would help. Its very comfy but I'm still suffereing.

MissAlisabeth

Asked by MissAlisabeth at 10:11 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Health

• I asked this simular question yesterday! But I wake up with A Migraine Every AM & I hate it! I don'rt know how it feels to wake up Right or Well or Refressed!! I so hear you on this!! Are you sure its not A migraine?? Mine are on the right side of my Head/skull Down low!! Awful! Light, sound, movement & all hurts more!! Could you be dehydrated?? Try some Gatorade & see if that helps! Never have I had anyone tell me why I wake up like this!! I can't See A DR. anymore or be on meds. since '05!! But I have had thse Migraines for 29 years! They ruined my Life!! I wish you the Best! If its something new & you can Afford to go in.. Please Go in get some Relief! I can't! I hate to hear snyone suffer & have to live this way like I do!! I feel your pain! I sure Do!! I wish you Well!! I wish I could help you more!! Also Maybe Feverfew if not on BCP's! Also Magnesium & A Good one A day Mulitivitamin! Good Luck! Feel Better!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:31 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Thanks for the understanding! It totally sucks! I have meds for my tension headaches but I hate to take them every morning because they can be addictive and I hate taking them if I don't have to. I don't think they are migraines because I have no sensitivity to light or sound. I am making another Dr. appointment though. Maybe I'll push for a sleep study since it all seems to revolve around my sleeping (or lack thereof) Good luck with your pain also!!
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 10:38 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• What about your pillow? Have you tried sleeping on more than one and letting your upper body be supported by them so that the sinuses can drain? Or even sleeping on a recliner so your upper body is tilted? Or using the thinnest possible pillow just to keep your head from an awkward angle? or changing from down to hyperallergenic foam? or from one kind of foam to another? I have no idea if these ideas would help in your case. I have sinus problems and wake up with sinus headaches which aren't what you are describing. I also use a bite guard that my dentist made. I use it at night since I tend to clench my teeth. I used to wake up with migraines and jaw pain from the clenching.

Answer by Bmat at 10:42 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• If you get any answers pass them on, I wake up with a headache every morning, my husband says he's going to buy stock in asprin since I use so much of it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:44 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I have thought about trying a new pillow since it seems to start at the back of my head and neck. I may give that a try tonight.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 10:56 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Open your jaw, does it crack? It could possibly be TMJ. I would see your dentist. TMJ causes horrible headaches neck and shoulder pain as well as jaw & facial pain. Worth looking into.
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 11:36 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I had headaches like that every night for over 2 years. I can't tell you how many doctor visits and test I had done. Drugs didn't help. My doctor gave me every type of pain killer and muscle relaxer there was and nothiong helped - until - I left my job. Turns out it was stress.
    I knew my headaches were not migraines I get those too. What you are describing sounds like what I had.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 3:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2009