When do you consider a name to be getting really popular?

when it's in the top 10? 25? 50? or 100?

rockabell.2009

Asked by rockabell.2009 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2012 in Baby Names

• When I am introduced to children and every other one has the same name.
    And really really popular when it doesn't matter which sex.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2012

• When they have to tack on the first letter of the last name at school. When I was in elementary school, there were up to three Julies in my classes, so I always went by Julie T. I hated that!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2012

• my daughters was more popular than i had realized at the time (izabella) my boys names aren't too extremely popular they are Holden and Sawyer
    rockabell.2009

Comment by rockabell.2009 (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2012

• my class had two other samanthas as well :/ i always hated it and thought my name was boring lol
    rockabell.2009

Comment by rockabell.2009 (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2012

• I'd say around the top 130 or so.

When naming my girls, I wanted some unique but, not too out there. I hated being one of many in school. And, most of my friends were one of many's as well.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2012

• when its been in the top 10 for a few years in a row.

or if there are a ton of kids w/ the name.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2012

• I typically think of top 50 to be very popular. But i am kinda wary of any name between 50-200 because in a few years you never know lol

I liked the name scarlett i had the book the baby name wizard the 2007 edition and i believe it had it listed at around 250 now it is like 80 i believe
    rockabell.2009

Comment by rockabell.2009 (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2012

• "When I was in elementary school, there were up to three Julies in my classes, so I always went by Julie T. I hated that!"

i hear ya! im an Amanda...i was never the only one! even in college there was rarely a class without another Amanda! ive always hated that!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2012

• Yes Liam does seem to be a popular one. I had a more unique one picked for my daughter but last minute changed my mind because i really had liked izabella since childhood. I didn't realize until today though that you can look up the top one hundred for each state to see how popular it is in your area.
    rockabell.2009

Comment by rockabell.2009 (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Sep. 28, 2012

• I did turn around and name my oldest son Jacob, which is extremely popular, but I gave him a less popular middle name and figured he could always go by that. He's absolutely a Jacob though. He just couldn't be any other name. He's in fifth grade and so far he's had another Jacob in his class just once.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2012