Homemade cupcakes/cakes

My mother and I have recently teamed up in hopes to make money selling baked house and one day open a bakery. lately we have just started experimenting with recipes we want to use. We are having a problem with cupcakes and cakes coming out too dry. Does anyone have advice on how we can make a cake that is more moist?

MelSwim7

Asked by MelSwim7 at 11:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2012 in Food & Drink

• *Baked goods
    MelSwim7

Comment by MelSwim7 (original poster) at 11:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2012

• You might be baking them too long or at too high a temperature.
    I prefer a mixture of crisco and butter in mine and I feel that makes them moister.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2012

• Using boiling water in the mixes help too
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:22 AM on Sep. 29, 2012

• Are you selling baked goods that come from a box or from scratch?

Also remember that most cities require you have a health inspection even if it is out of your own kitchen if you sell even one product
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:49 AM on Sep. 29, 2012

• Agree with Dardenella, I have my own business, ( bit.ly/cakecafe )not a shop yet, however I use an industrail kitchen that can be rented out by the hour so no need for an inspector to come into my home kitchen. You will also need to be state certified in food and sanitation, need a sellers permit, a business license, and check for any local zoning codes that may affect you.

Over baking will dry the cake out, it also depends on what kind of cake batter you are using.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 1:05 AM on Sep. 29, 2012

• Oh and you ABSOLUTELY need insurance!!!! Not having these item can get you fined big time.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 1:06 AM on Sep. 29, 2012

• I always use milk instead of water in cakes, whether from a mix or from scratch. Coconut milk, which comes in a can, makes even moister, richer cakes. Butter works better than margarine. Despite the conventional wisdom to cool a cake completely before wrapping and storing it, I wrap a cake in foil as soon as I can get it out of the hot pan, and refrigerate it right away. I learned that secret from my aunt, who makes the best cakes in all of Colorado. I used to sell breads and muffins on street corners where there were churches letting out, but those days are long gone. Get your business paperwork all in order--heck, you can't even take homemade baked goods to school for your kid's birthday anymore.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:14 AM on Sep. 29, 2012

• Be sure that for every item you have an igredients list so that if someone says I am allergic to coconut you can loo at every list and note that there is not coconut , C. Milk, or c. oil. There is also coconut flower so be aware of what you have soyou can keep everyone safe.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:21 AM on Sep. 29, 2012

• pudding? applesauce?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:23 AM on Sep. 29, 2012

• I think you need to study recipes and test them to see what works for them before asking for help. I suggest looking at Martha Stewart and Ina Garten recipes for baked goods to see what they do and why they are so good. Go to your library and take out books on baking and read them.

If you want a business you have to do the research so you will learn. Just because you may be a great baker at home doesn't mean you will be a successful professional baker able to make a living out of it. You need to create your own recipes for cupcakes and cakes and perfect them before even thinking about opening a shop. Good luck.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 6:52 AM on Sep. 29, 2012