If you feed any of your pets food with corn in it ~ not a question

I own and feed a great many animals besides my cats and dogs. Because of this ~ and a natural distrust of the fda to actually 'care' about the people and animals they are responsible for, I pay attention to 'feed' news. This is worth passing along, particularly for anyone with birds, but also for those who feed their cats and/or dogs food that contains corn.

requests to fda to allow higher aflatoxin levels in feed corn

excerpt: The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

>>

Aflatoxicosis is the poisoning that results from ingesting aflatoxins. Two forms of aflatoxicosis have been identified: the first is acute severe intoxication, which results in direct liver damage and subsequent illness or death, and the second is chronic subsymptomatic exposure. A review of the literature across all species provides clear evidence that the dose and duration of exposure to aflatoxin clearly have a major effect on the toxicology and may cause a range of consequences: 1) large doses lead to acute illness and death, usually through liver cirrhosis; 2) chronic sublethal doses have nutritional and immunologic consequences; and 3) all doses have a cumulative effect on the risk of cancer. This review focuses on the nutritional and immunologic consequences.

Acute illness and death

The symptoms of severe aflatoxicosis include hemorrhagic necrosis of the liver, bile duct proliferation, edema, and lethargy. Animal studies have found 2 orders of magnitude difference in the median lethal dose for AFB1.Susceptible species such as rabbits and ducks have a low (0.3 mg/kg) median lethal dose, whereas chickens (18 mg/kg) and rats have greater tolerance. Adult humans usually have a high tolerance of aflatoxin, and, in the reported acute poisonings, it is usually the children who die (15).

Cancers

For humans, aflatoxin is predominantly perceived as an agent promoting liver cancers, although lung cancer is also a risk among workers handling contaminated grain (20).<<

Farmlady09

Asked by Farmlady09 at 11:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2012 in Pets

• Thank you for this information.

It just makes you wonder what the idiots who are requesting this think they and their food and pets are ingesting. The idiocy - it just hurts.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2012

• Thanks! I get his food from the local farm store in bulk. I will definitely check into it though. I appreciate your posting!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:44 PM on Sep. 28, 2012

• Yikes...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2012

• Not to mention most corn is genetically modified!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 11:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2012

• Well, I am dead center in the drought affected area, so I will be doing more research....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:12 AM on Sep. 29, 2012

• Thank you mine are on lamb and rice and I am pretty sure there is no corn in it at all but Guess where I am going tomorrow.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:14 AM on Sep. 29, 2012

• friskies grillers blend?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:26 AM on Sep. 29, 2012

• great
    WHITELIGHTJENNY

Answer by WHITELIGHTJENNY at 9:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2012

• yikes, thanks!
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• This will affect just about all pet and animal food, and if it is fed to animals being raised for food, it will affect the people who eat that meat.

Aflatoxin is a naturally occurring fungus that hits corn during droughts. The longer/more severe the drought, the higher the levels of aflatoxin.

I feed my dogs and cats a raw diet based mainly on rabbit and turkey meat (from animals I raise). I also have ducks, turkeys, peafowl, guineas, and chickens. While aflatoxin doesn't affect chickens as much, people eat them. Corn IS one of the grains I use for feed, but this last trip to the feed store did not include ANY corn, including corn for my piglets. I've still got some and will be switching over to all grain and more produce rather than risk it.

If you have dogs and cats and can't/won't do a raw diet, at least consider feeding them a brand that doesn't use corn for the next 9 months.
    Farmlady09

Comment by Farmlady09 (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Sep. 28, 2012