How to get a two year old to sleep without screaming and vomiting?

my nephew and his wife live with me and they have a three year old and a two yr. old. my house is smal so they have to share a room. the kids fight sleep like most kids do, but the two year old is a liitle more challaging. he screams and bangs his head on just about anything. he has almst knocked himself out on some occasions. now he will vomit when he gets upset. i myself have tried taking him for walks and letting him play just to get his mind off being so upset. i know you should try and let them cry for awile but we tried that four hours later still crying still vomiting. is there any suggestions we can try that has worked for any of you moms with stubburn children. thank you  i want to thank you for your answers and i agree with all of yall. i am not the childs mother and i have tried giving this women advice but she won't have it. i would do things diff. for sure i was hoping if i tried again to tell her how maybe she could do things diff. he would sleep better. she does nothing with these kids if not for me and their grandmother they would never see the sun. im not joking. so thanks again everyone i will see if i can get her to try something else thank you.

airmom62

Asked by airmom62 at 2:59 AM on Sep. 29, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We don't let our kids cry. I think someone explained it to me best - If you were that distraught, would you want everyone to ignore you and force you to self-soothe?? That really explained it for me. Sure, kids need to learn to fall asleep, but some have a harder time of it. If it means laying down beside them, we do that. If it means a light on - we do that. Whatever helps them fall asleep. They will grow out of it. :)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:01 AM on Sep. 29, 2012

• I know one family who had a strong willed child. It's like breaking a child... literally they would have to hold that child down until he tired himself out. I guess that's the exact opposite of the above, but that child learned never to do it again and when bed time was.... I know I could not tolerate your situation in my home at all... I'd have to ask them to leave. I believed in a certain way of disciplining and a certain way for my children to behave... it worked.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:24 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• A new night time routine is needed. Maybe he is over tired. Does he nap during the day? He may need a nap. He sounds wired out. In the afternoon, take him for a walk in the stroller & let him fall asleep for an hour. At night, give them time to wind down. Turn off the lights, give him a 1/2 a banana to eat, put on "Little Bear" on TV quietly. Make it a routine then to bed. Get him a music night light like ones you put in a crib that stay on for 10 minutes at a time. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• omg, rock him to sleep or lay with him until he gets to sleep, at that age they need alot of comforting
    WHITELIGHTJENNY

Answer by WHITELIGHTJENNY at 2:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2012

• i agree a hundred percent with you guys. he does not get enough run around time at all. if i had to stay inside all day or in my room just watching tv i would not sleep either. i wil pass this along maybe the mother will open her eyes to see their is a better way. thanks again everyone.
    airmom62

Comment by airmom62 (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2012