i cant get my 7 year old son to eat and hes making himself sick

my son has started to be very funny about food he will only eat a very small amount and a very small range of foods i cant seam to get him to try any thing different and hes always saying im alergic when hes not then makes himself sick the doctors say its nothing to worry about but im worried has anyone else got any children like this or has eva had a child like sam if yes how did you mannage ?

emma1984

Asked by emma1984 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My youngest had a very limited range of what he would eat. We just gave him these few things and also put little bits of other food on his plate and didn't make a fuss about what he ate or didn't eat. If he is only eating a little bit then maybe it is enough for him. Unless he loses a lot of weight it is probably OK. Try to offer a variety. My son wouldn't eat any vegetables or fruits. The doctor put him on a mult-vitamin until he got over that stage.

Answer by Bmat at 10:37 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• You are going to have to force him to eat, do not let him up from the table until he eats everything on his plate and don't cater to him. If he says he's allergic tell him you checked with the doctor and he's not so he can eat it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:39 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I agree with sammiesmom. You're not a short order cook. Prepare one meal for everyone. Eat or don't eat. When he's hungry enough, he will eat.

If he's making himself throw-up food or losing extreme amounts of weight, Then I would take him to a gastroenterologist to make sure nothing going on on the inside. Then to a psych to deal with the eating disorder.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:57 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Um, if you force him to eat you WILL end up with an eating disorder. The bigger deal you make the bigger deal it will be and FOOD will be a CONTROL thing.
    If it makes you feel better, my cousin, child of doctors, ate (and still eats) pretty much french fries, burgers, and chicken nuggets.
    His mother had little bowls of food that were available to him as he needed and he grazed throughout the day as he was hungry and ate very little at meals.
    We ate the 3 meals and my mom would do the sit till you eat and I'm not a short-order cook etc.
    Ummmmm as teenagers and grown ups, we've had weight issues and food disorders etc. He's 100% healthy.
    Makes you think....
    BTW the 3 meals a day thing is not the healthiest way to eat anyway.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• In my house, the rule is you eat when it's meal time, or you don't eat. However, our son was a bit of a picky eater for a while, so we came to an agreement: I'd let him pick his breakfast and lunch (even taking him grocery shopping with me and letting him have a few less healthy items in concession) but I got to pick his dinner, and he had to eat all of it. After a couple weeks, he was eating better, gaining weight, and eating all of his dinner. I had healthy options for snack between breakfast and lunch and again between lunch and dinner.
    Thanks to discussions about healthier foods and how they can make us faster, smarter and better at the things we want to do, he's making healthier choices for his breakfast and lunch, and even requests "dinner" meals for lunch.
    He'll eat anything and everything I put in front of him at dinner now, no hesitation.
    My daughter will eat anything she gets to help cook.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 7:20 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• If this is a new behavior and he has previously been a good eater, I would request additional testing from the pediatrician. If he has alway been this way, I would just give him time to grow out of it. Do not force him to eat. This could cause psychological problems. Offer him foods that he likes and that are nutritious at meal time. I would definitely want to rule out medical issues before doing anything else.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 9:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• let the child eat what and how much he wants. all children go through this phase. i have 3 children and they all went threw this at different times. my one year old did not want to eat all weekend but i had to be patient. the only thing she would eat was fruit cups. i let her and last night she ate hambers with us. your child will be fine.
    BLACKBUTTERFLY1

Answer by BLACKBUTTERFLY1 at 12:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2009