If you were spanked...

So if you were spanked as a child (SPANKED, NOT BEATEN) as punishment, do you spank your children?

I was spanked. I have occasionally spanked DD, but I don't use it as the same type of punishment my parents did. With my parents, spanking was the one and only punishment. We did something (anything) wrong, we got spanked...well, *I* got spanked, brother...well, that's another thread entirely. DD has only gotten spanked on the big things that I wanted her to remember the punishment...things like darting out in a parking lot without holding my hand. Otherwise, time-out, taking away privileges, stern talking to, etc.

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 6:53 AM on Sep. 29, 2012 in General Parenting

• I was spanked. My parents spanked all of us when other forms of discipline didn't work (meaning - we were hard headed and didn't listen.....we were offered easier punishments but continued to misbehave as children). Spankings didn't happen after about age 10-12. By that time, we had learned that actions have consequences, some not too pleasant, so you don't do the things that get those extreme consequences.

When we had our children, we used the same philosophy. We felt like if we spanked the boys when they were little, we wouldn't need to when they got big. If we waited until they were big to impose hard punishments, it would be too late.

Two of our sons are in their late 20's. One has 2 children. He is following the same parenting style we used. I have talked to him about it. He says that he learned early that if you don't follow the rules, you pay a price. He wants his children to learn the same lesson.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:40 AM on Sep. 29, 2012

• I was spanked.... I had a belt used on me after coming home from church because I did not sit still.
    I was spanked in school with a wooden paddle because I talked.

Yes, I still spanked my children.... mostly with my hand until they got to big and actually hurt my hand... LOL!

My children are just fine as am I. Trust me though, I knew how to behave in public after that. That's the funny thing.. you didn't see children running through the stores screaming or throwing tantrums in public when I was a child. Also, my children were never allowed to do so either. It worked for us. I am glad I was raised that way. I know respect.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• I never spanked my kids it was not an option for me after being abused under the guise of what started out as a spanking I refused to spank.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• Yes, I was spanked and I did spank my kids. A toddler going for something dangerous needs to learn a lesson they won't forget or ever do again. But with so much padding (diaper) I doubt they really felt anything. It did shake them up and never did it again.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 6:58 AM on Sep. 29, 2012

• I was spanked and I have spanked, but it's not my primary way of discipline. It is a last resort punishment. I was spanked for everything even bad grades and in my adult life found out I have dyslexia so those spankings were in vain....lol. I feel it's better to find the deeper problem than just spank and be done with it.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 7:27 AM on Sep. 29, 2012

• I was spanked- and though I had decided I would NEVER spank my kids...I ended up doing it anyway a few times- when nothing else worked
    I cried about it pretty much every time
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:46 AM on Sep. 29, 2012

• I was spanked, my children were spanked, and my grandchildren are being spanked. I believe it to be the most effective discipline when done correctly. It is very disturbing that some have abused and called it spanking so that now this very profitable means of discipline has gone "out of style."
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:00 AM on Sep. 29, 2012

• I was spanked and I do not spank my children. There are other effective ways of discipining... My daughters know that if they disobey or misbehave that their actions will have consequences. A lot of people (my mother, to start with) think I'm very strict.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 9:57 AM on Sep. 29, 2012

• I was spanked and I spanked my kids but I only used my hand. Their father used a belt and I hated it every time. We fought about that every time. Now that my kids are older, I use other means of discipline. Lately my favorite is extra chores. If my kids misbehave; there are dishes that need to get put away, floors to be swept, yard to get cleaned up, laundry to do, vehicles to clean. If they give me an attitude about it, then I add more chores. Their father agrees with me on this. And if it is something really bad, they get extra chores at their dad's house for it too. My youngest cleaned my house, his father's house, and chipped all the paint off the garage door at his father's. The child has been very well behaved since. :-)
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 10:08 AM on Sep. 29, 2012

• I was spanked - and beaten. I do spank my children, although it's rare. But I do not beat or abuse my children no matter how much my family prods me to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2012