Is it possible to still be pregnant?

I found out I was pregnant with an hpt. I went to the doctor and she did the blood test and it was positive. I went for an early ultrasound due to spotting and the size was 2 weeks behind where I had calculated it should have been. It was 4 weeks size and based on my LMP it should be 6 weeks. The sac was next to a 5.5 cm fibroid and so they have sent me for a QA HcG, I have taken the first one and due for the second tomorrow. Out of panic I ran another hpt and it is coming up neg, can I still be pregnant and have the hpt now not show positive result? It doesn't seem possible, so wanting to know if anyone has had a neg to follow a pos and still sound up staying pregnant. Holding out hope...but feel it all slipping away.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes you can have a false neg test. It happens alot
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:35 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I had a Post. with my first then a neg. It took 3 more HPT test to come back post. before I went to the Dr. It is possible for you to be not as far along as u or Dr. figured by ur LMP. It happened to me a couple of times. My last one was actually 2 weeks further that my LMP. Talk to the Dr. about ur concerns. S/he will be able to check and make sure that baby is still inside u.
    rugratsmommy4

Answer by rugratsmommy4 at 10:38 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Thank you all for such quick responses... I am worried because of the spotting and the fibroid which I have read can take nutrients from the baby, and then the neg test just adds to the fear that I am losing it. I am trying to think positive, as no real period has started yet. I was getting okay with and the size by reading about the miscalculations or late ovulations. I do not know when I ovulated, only the LMP date. I wish the testing could be speeded up, the waiting just adds to all the uncertainly and your mind goes wild! My fibroid is small compared to what I have read about as well, but it just seems I am really not having the best news. I still feel that heavy feeling, but also feel myself willing it to remain. Not sure how much the mind can really do with that, but I want this little one so badly I have no doubt my body could be hanging on...when everything seems so bleak.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• fibroid are very normal in pregnancy i had them with both of mine now my first child is 5yr old and i am 26 weeks pregnant with my second the spotting could just be from the fibroid going away or something i wouldn't worry about it too much talk to your doctor
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 11:03 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• greeniemommy - what about the neg hpt after everythign saying positive. I took two from the same box and both are neg. Any chance these could both be wrong? This is also the first time I have been pregnant and at 38 my clock is sure ticking loudly. I am holding on to all positives...as best I can.
    Krista953

Answer by Krista953 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• When I went to the doctor for my first check up I was 9 1/2 weeks pregnant. The ultrasound showed that I was only 6 weeks & 4 days with no heartbeat. I was devastated & was hoping that it was wrong. I was sent for a blood test that day & then a Monday to make sure my hormones were dropping before they decided on the next step. I was still hoping they were wrong. Unfortunately they weren't. I continued to have positive HPT for 2 weeks following the MC. It all depends on the hormone level. If you have lost the baby I am truly sorry. I will be praying for you.
    seaott9406

Answer by seaott9406 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• seaott9406 I am so sorry, it is just the worst news ever. Did they say if they thought hormones would have helped keep the pregnancy. I am wondering if I should call the dr. about the neg test.
    Krista953

Answer by Krista953 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Did you actually get a full blown period? I have never been through this sorry for abrunt questions... I just dont know what to expect and can only ask questions... Did you get pregnant again? I hope so...I hope you have had a happy ending since this happened to you.
    Krista953

Answer by Krista953 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• false negatives happen alot. you just won't ever see a false positive...at least I've never heard of someone getting a false positive before.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 12:06 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I am so sorry. I hope you are not losing it. I was seen at 6 wks and the heartbeat was too slow. At my next ultrasound it was still 6 weeks in size and had no heartbeat. I wasnt even spotting. They wouldnt do a D&C til I was bleeding cuz its considered an emergency surgery around here. I shoul've been 10 weeks at the time of my surgery. I didnt bleed til the night before. This was 1 week before my wedding. I know your mind can run from you and its hard to take. My Dr gave me the run around til he knew if it was exactly over. Ask your Dr bluntly what he thinks is going on and what he is expecting. I called around for 2nd opinions cuz I didnt understand. They were awful to me! Saying I was losing it and just didnt want to admit it etc. That was over the phone. I thought cuz it was still in there and I wasnt bleeding that I had to be ok. I wasnt naive, I was confused and hurt.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 8, 2009