What do I do with my Daughter?

I am at my wits end with this one and just need advice! She is 3 almost 4 and whenever she sees something gross or hears someone get sick she gags and makes herself get sick as well. Now normally I can deal with this but all today she has been making herself throw up because she thinks of me getting sick last night or if I cough. (I am 2 months pregnant and have all day morning sickness). She is not sick herself she is hungry wants to eat not running a fever or showing any other syptoms. How do I get her to stop this?

Jelyla

Asked by Jelyla at 11:15 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe try talking with her doctor.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Maybe teach herself to think of something else when she thinks of something "icky" so she is distracted from the thought. Maybe she can hop on one foot or something silly like that. Or deep breaths help too... maybe some bubbles to blow. It's mind over matter... and at this age you can really teach her that... but you can teach her something to keep her mind off of it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I love answer number 2. You know there are some who just throw up at the thought of something gross so teaching her how to distract herself will be a great skill for her.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:17 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Have you tried ignoring it? I don't mean letting her hang out in her own vomit or anything but just try not to react and if she does actually vomit, just clean it up and move on. I'm sure once your morning sickness settles down, her "sympathy sickness" will settle as well.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• lol....my daughter makes herself gag/throw up if she doesn't like the smell of something or she doesn't like the taste or just plain doesn't want to eat something. she is 3 and a half and i am not sure how to make her stop. she threw up easily as a baby too. i just figure she has a strong gag reflex. when she gets a stuffy nose she gags and throws up with it. sounds like your daughter is worse than mine, though. i might would check with her pediatrician.
    kaufmt0220

Answer by kaufmt0220 at 10:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• This is coming from an adult with extreem gag reflexs, and 2 of my 7 who are the same way.

Smells and sounds are all it takes to send me over board, my littles can't even see a bugger with out gagging and then of course it sends me over board. I can't even be in the same room with the little ones when they are sick, my older kids have to take over cause I usually have my head in the toilet.

Ok....I have sympathy for your little girl, if it was mind over matter I would not be doing it...trust me! I have no answers, I never outgrew it and don't see my 2 littles ones doing it either.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My daughter is almost 3yrs old...I had a bad sinus infection one week, and she saw me throwing up the ucky stuff. She's also seen me gag over the toilet if I take to hot of a shower (no clue, just happens lol!). She started gagging herself over the toilet after that, and everynight before she went to bed she felt she needed to do the same thing. I let her for a few days, then realized she wasn't going to stop. I finally told her if she kept doing that she would have to go to the hospital and stay in there without mommy and daddy cause she was so sick. That put an end to that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• when you were pregnant or before you were pregnant, were you anorexic? sounds like symptoms of anorexia...of course, i'm not a doctor...it's just what popped into my mind after reading ur question.
    JANIKA66

Answer by JANIKA66 at 10:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• We told her if she sees or smells something gross she needs to walk away and take deep breaths like she was blowing out candles on a birthday cake. It seems to be really working.

Let me say right now... i have now or never been anorexic. I hate throwing up and besides if I was I wouldn't be as overweight as i am right now. (How did you come up with anorexia from my question?)
    Jelyla

Answer by Jelyla at 12:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2009