Cute Little Stories About How Your Pets Got Their Names...

I'm bored as hell so I'm going to tell you how some of my pets got their names.

I found my cat as a stray kitten hiding in the hay of the nativity scene at church. I was seventeen and I was singing in the choir for the Christmas pageant. We were singing "Angels We Have Heard on High" and when we got to the "Glooooooria" part, the little white kitten wandered out from under the manger to yowl along. I picked her up so that she could sing with me. So her name is Gloria now.

Long before we were married, when my husband was about to turn sixteen, he wanted to buy himself a Harley Davidson so that he could be cool. For his sixteenth birthday, his uncle, who had just bought a new car, gave him his old one so that he could drive to and from school. He was still saving for his Motorcycle but his parents found out about it and told him that there was no way in hell that he was getting a motorcycle until he was eighteen. Instead, he bought a horse and named him Harley so that he could still ride a Harley around town. We still have the horse.

My horse is named Pepper because she is black and loves green peppers.

When my husband's grandfather bought the farm we live on now, there was barbed wire around the sheep field. He didn't think that the barbed wire was safe so he took it all out and replaced it with a regular wooden fence. He had to hurry along the process and he never got around to removing the last five feet of barbed wire or so and there was just a small section of it behind the wooden sheep fence that was never removed. When his grandfather died, my husband inherited the property. Early one morning I found that one of the sheep had escaped the fence and got her foot tangled in the barbed wire. Now we call her Barb. The only sheep that have names are the ones that we can tell apart. She has scars on her leg so now she is distinguishable from the others.

We have another sheep named Pickles because I gave my niece a big kosher pickle for a snack when we were working in the sheep field and he came up and stole it from her.

The old sheep, Ma, was named after the sheep from the movie "Babe", as was my pig named Babe (Guess my niece's favorite movie) She wanted to name my Border Collie Fly but I drew the line there. (we also have a duck named Ferdinand)

Lucy, my Australian Shepherd, was named after Lucille Ball. I picked her up while we were on our honeymoon. I went to WalMart to replace a broken pair of flip flops and someone had her outside, free to a good home. In the hotel, my husband and I were discussing what to name her while we were flipping channels on the TV. I flipped to "I Love Lucy" and he asked "What about Lucy?" and it seemed to suit her.

What are some of your cute stories?

*****EDIT*****

I can't believe that I forgot about our mule. He is a very sweet mule that was handraised. We got him from a friend of my hubby. His father died so his mother was moving in with him. They sold off all of the animals except for the dogs, his parents horses, and the cat. The mule was the last one that they had and he asked us to board him until they could find him a home but I fell in love with him. He follows me around. His name is Jack, short for Jackass.

I also have a goat that, when we got her, we were told that she was a male but when I took a look, I realised that she was female. I named her Lola after that song by the Kinks "Lola" about the prostitute that was actually a man dressed as a woman. We have other animals but they don't have cute stories behind their names.

Cowgirl_Coyote

Asked by Cowgirl_Coyote at 1:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2012 in Pets

• Cute! Now, when I think of the name Tabitha, I think of the little girl from Bewitched.
    Cowgirl_Coyote

Comment by Cowgirl_Coyote (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• we didn't think our cat would be alive long enough to even need a name
    he was in an AWFUL pet-store and literally had worms falling from his bottom
    he was taken from his momma way too little (vet guessed 3 1/2 to 4 weeks)
    we were paying and doing paperwork etc and the cat was lethargic and zombie like
    we get into the truck and drive away and his sweet personality flipped on like a light, he knew he was saved
    he was never happy til we got into our blazer truck so we named him Blazer :)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• flash- he's a basset hound so i copied dukes of hazard

sally- it's fitting (female basset)

bama- her name already, i got her from the pound

tasha- her name was nosh when i got her from the pound and didn't like it so i named her tasha cuz it kinda sounds like nosh (the only cat i own and probally ever will own lol)

charlie-my horse, i thought it was funny "charlie horse" :P

david- my dd's horse, she named him idk where she came up with david but it's cute

sugar- my old girl horse, i named her that b/c she's sweet
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• My cat had kittens and one of them was going to my sister.She had a ferret named "ferret juice" so we wanted to give her cat an equally weird name. So we named her "cat soup". but we ended up keeping her! We found a stray cat and her kitten on a Sunday morning while delivering newspapers. So we named the mother Sunday paper and the kitten Star Tribune(name of the newspaper). We found another stary kitten, a siamese and we named him Muddy. We named another stary cat Sammich(like sandwhich). So we had Cat Soup and cat Sammich(Sammy for short). Star just had kittens a few months ago, and my son named the 2 males Sam and Dean(the Winchester brothers on Supernatural) and named the female Girl. And we have a Mastiff we named Nita, which means bear or bear cub....shes a big dog!
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 3:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• My oldest son named our desert tortoise. I think he was 6 years old at the time. My husband walked into the house with the cardboard box, Jacob peeked in and said "I love him! His name is JACK!" That was that, he's been Jack ever since.

Jacob also named his betta fish. We bought him his own fish a few months ago. Jacob was really excited and named him Technology.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• Hmmm ~ there was Bum, my first cat who showed up at the door as a kitten bumming food. My Chow, King Lear II ... but called 'DickeyDo' even though his didn't. My cat AzIf ~ he never told us to 'talk to the paw', but he did play fetch better than the dogs. Kiara and Fiona (one solid black, one solid white) who truly should have been called basement cat and ceiling cat. Dopey. Damn I still miss that little cat. He was deaf and I wanted to name him Beethoven, but my youngest son said he walked like a drunken sailor and called him Dopey. It stuck. Abby Nermal ~ the little kitten my friend gave me when Dopey died. She was a sweetie to humans, but Nermal to all the rest of my cats and dogs. My little feral siblings Wee Willie and Winkie (Winkie was born with one eye missing). And, we have Rascal ... who usually gets called the 'wee little puppet man' (from Angel ~ the puppet episode) because his face is so expressive.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• Poptart got his name just after he was born. He was the cutest tabby cat we'd ever seen. My dd's loved to eat poptarts and when I asked them what to name the cat, my baby girl spoke up and said "poptart"! She was 8. The cat turned his head right to her and that was his name. Popcorn is his little sister and we knew that it would contain "pop" in her name. She looked like a kernel of popcorn before being popped.Peekaboo got his name because he would hide in a box on the floor and when his brother and sister walked by, he would jump up, grab their tail then hide again. Daphne, our terrier mix got her name after the Barbie doll in my curio cabinet (yes, I do collect Barbies or at least my dh thinks so). She saw the doll and barked. Once I said the name, she was hooked. I once had 2 white doves named Peace and Harmony. Because that is what we all needed.
    blondie805

Answer by blondie805 at 9:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2012

• ok
    WHITELIGHTJENNY

Answer by WHITELIGHTJENNY at 9:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2012

• I have 2 cats & a snake.
    Cat's names
    Reese = because of her brown & peanut butter color, my son said she looks like a Reese cup to him, so we call her "Reese"
    Grace = named her Grace because it is because of the Grace of God we are saved.
    Snake
    Jack = we named him Jack because he is the 3rd pet snake we got. The first 2 were named Ace and Duce, so when we got the 3rd one, i decided that we would stay in the deck of cards names, so i named him Jack. lol
    mamabear484

Answer by mamabear484 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2012

• We have a 11 yr old chiuahuah....My daughter was 4 when we got the dog and she (my daughter) was always naming stuff and boy did she have an imagination. So we let her name the dog so imagine our surprise when she named her Star....(We thought it would be something outlandish lol). WE asked her why Star and she said cause her fav song was twinkle twinkle littel star! Last year on Valentines day we adopted an orange Tabby cat from the animal shelter. He was a year old when we bought him and the shelter had named him Tucker. My son loves cats and so he said mom lets leave his name Tucker but we all call him Tuck or Tuckeroo!!
    Fairymom32

Answer by Fairymom32 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 16, 2012