Win Without Words or Speak Up? Thoughts on Christian Wives with Non-Christian Husbands

"Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives" (1 Pe 3:1 NIV).

There's not enough room to copy and paste the article. I tried. Anyway, here's the link. What are your thoughts and experiences?

http://www.revelife.com/768246474/win-without-words-or-speak-up-thoughts-on-christian-wives-with-non-christian-husbands/

I like what the commenter said about -
"Preach the Gospel; if necessary, use words" is a famous quote which underscores that it is how we live--both in words and actions--that matter in the end.

chrismisha

Asked by chrismisha at 4:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• I actually think both are important, but I think there are tactful loving ways to say things as opposed to nagging, whining or being blunt. But the words will mean nothing if your actions don't back it up.

Answer by missanc at 4:49 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• I think this is an ideal situation, where the wife respects her husband so much that she is able to seriously consider and ultimately agree with his thoughts. I have found this in my marriage. One reason I fell in love with my husband was that I respected his opinions, and I still do. It isn't a matter of bowing the head and saying yes sir, it is a matter of recognizing that his opinions are well thought out and sensible.

Answer by Bmat at 5:06 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• What? I mean, What?
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 5:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• All I can say is I hope no unbelieving husbands read that, because I'm quite sure they'd be offended that their wife thinks they are a fool simply for having different beliefs. Wow.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• How stupid. So an unbeliever will be swayed to believe in god simply because of the actions of a believer? I'm an Atheist and my husband is a Christian and we have the same morals, values and neither one acts kinder, more decent, more caring or more loving than the other. Why? Because a good person is a good person no matter what they believe in. Why must religious people always some agenda?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:37 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• @ IhartU
    I wonder what your husband would think about the issue. As a Christian, I can only imagine that he would want to model Christ like behavior in front of you whether with quietness or actually talking to you about his Christianity. Just pondering the issue. I think it's different for Christian women with unbelieving husbands because she would be obligated to follow his leadership. And it's hard and possible dangerous to follow someone's leadership, when you don't have the same central beliefs. It 's not an agenda thing. I was reading a article where the Christian wife believed in tithing and her unbelieving didn't want her to do. She was put in a compromising situation. Anyway, just thinking about the pros and cons of
    1 Peter 3:1.
    chrismisha

Comment by chrismisha (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• 1) I despise the word "unbeliever", it's degrading, imo. I am a believer, just not in the Abrahamic god. 2) I am not Christian, but my husband is. We respect each others beliefs. I will never try to convince him (with words or through actions) that he should no longer be Christian, and he will respect me in the same way. Our marriage works because of that mutual respect. If that wasn't there, I would have never married him.

I have a friend who is Catholic married to an Atheist. They have been married for 35 years and still going strong. She's always respected his beliefs and he's respected hers. Neither has tried to change or convert the other. There's no point. They're both strong in what they believe.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• I don't think there is any winning to be done. I am grateful not to have to deal with that particular issue, it would be a toughie.
    Now anime, I can pretty much guarantee that your Catholic friend is praying daily for her husband's change of heart. No one wants to contemplate living eternity without their favorite person.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:23 AM on Sep. 30, 2012

• Keep quoting scripture to your non-Christian husband and he will divorce you.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:43 AM on Sep. 30, 2012

• What you call 'christ-like' behavior I call being a decent human being which most of us Atheists manage to do without having a religious example to follow. You think a religious woman would have a hard time following an Atheist husband? Why should she? As long as he was kind, loving, caring, respectful and intelligent enough to make good decisions, everything should be fine. Non-religious doesn't equal drinker, smoking, fornicator, thief, adulterer and any other 'evil' you can think of.

By the way tithing doesn't have to mean money- that wife could use her talents in the church or with various charities and that would be a mature way to compromise with her non-religious husband.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2012