Sour smelling spit up.

What does it mean when my 12 slmost 13 week old sons spit up/throw up smells sour? Its been doing this since he was born. We've tried switching formula from milk-based to soy then to alimentum now he's on lactose free w/ added rice starch. Nothing helps him keep it down. His dr just says its acid reflux but he throws up 2-3 mouthfuls every time we burp him. We arent over-burping or over-feeding. What else is left to do.

amygirl23

Asked by amygirl23 at 11:26 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nothing. Some babies are just like that. If changing formula hasn't helped, then put him back on a regular formula...it is really the best for him. My daughter was breast fed and she was the same way...then when I switched to formula, nothing changed. It lasted forever too! Then one day, all of the sudden, it stopped (around 7 mo.) Make sure you're using a slow flow nipple and burping often. Also, leave your son in a reclining position (in a bouncer or swing) rather than lying flat right after a feeding. It helped my daughter a little. Other than that, invest in some bibs!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• The sour smell just means that the milk he is spitting up has already reached his stomach and combined with acids. Sounds bad but it isn't. My daughter is now 6 months old and her spitting up has significantly reduced. Her doctor told me that it would probably get worse before it got better. But it does get better.
    brisendinesbaby

Answer by brisendinesbaby at 12:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• is your baby crying and uncomfortable with it? if baby seems okay then leave it.
    angelmomma2

Answer by angelmomma2 at 1:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2009