Prenatal Vitamins

My SO and I are TTC and he suggests I start taking prenatal vitamins prior to getting pregnant. Are there any of these that can be purchase over-the-counter or do I have to obtain from my gyn?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• you can get them over the counter. I can't remember the brand names though.. something like nature's valley or something like that
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 11:34 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I bought some from WalMart that I took until I became pregnant. You could ask your gynecologist for a prescription, though. Most of the over-the-counter things aren't actually "strong" enough for you to take during the pregnancy, so you'll definitely want a prescription after you get the BFP. Good luck! Oh, and if your SO isn't taking a daily multivitamin, now would be a good time to start!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 11:35 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I think I seen some over the counter I think it was at wal-mart. Although you can take the flinstone vitamins they would work the same. When I had my first baby I couldn't take those because they made me so sick so I told the dr he told me that the flintone ones would work just fine if I could take those ones and he said that was fine, but to take 2 one in the morning and one in the afternoon or evening. The second baby I had a diffrent dr he was going to give me some vitamins but I told him I couldn't take them and that with the first I took flinstones he even said it was fine, but he also told me to take 2 a day. Although depending on your insurance if you want the prenatal it might be cheaper with your insurance than the over the counter so if you want those you might want to talk to your dr about taking those why you are trying to concive
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:40 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Oh also you have to take them the whole time after you become pregnant to then you even have to continue them if you are nursing
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:42 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• i got them from walmart and they was in a regular aisle
    Anonymous

• I also bought some from Walmart and then after i went for my first OB appointment they gave me a prescription for ones that had more vitamines in them.
    AmandaDenise26

Answer by AmandaDenise26 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I have always taken the OTC prenatal vitamins. Cheaper than prescription, and in most cases they are better.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I am ttc also and my obgyn told me to start taking them prior to becoming pregnant and throughout the entire pregnancy. The folic acid helps developement. I started taking mine about a week ago actually. The brand is RAINBOW LIGHT prenatal one. They are gentle and don't make your stomach hurt. I take one before bed every night. I've actually been sleeping alot better funny enough. Good luck! I would try them I got mine at Walgreens.
    BLoNdIe121679

Answer by BLoNdIe121679 at 3:02 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• we are also ttc and i started to take the prenatal vitamin about 2 months ago. i use the one a day prenatal vitamin it comes with the vitamin and the DHA/EPA liquid pills.
    mommy2tu

Answer by mommy2tu at 8:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My doctor said that since I'm pretty young (28), and eat a balanced diet, OTC prenatal vitamins should be sufficient! Each different brand has slightly different ingredients, but you should be just fine with OTC. The main thing is to start pumping yourself full of the folic acid!
    PrincessZ20

Answer by PrincessZ20 at 10:05 PM on Feb. 9, 2009