Ok here we go......

My 16 yr old son is severly autistic and goes to a private school. He has been going there for 10 yrs. On tuesday i got a call from the school nurse at work saying there was an incident. He has a motor skills job that requires him to take apart and put back together flashlights...he has done this before...well this time he dropped the lens from the flashlight and it broke in 2 pieces. He apparently ate the other half. Needless to say i was, livid and hysterical. they asked me if they should call an ambulance. i said yes. THey did xrays and saw nothing, they then decided to put a scope down his throat into his stomach, to see if they saw anything they may have missed on the xrays, they found nothing...my question is this.....should i seek legal counsel against the school. As i stated before this has been his school for 10 yrs, and this is an isolated incident.......

SLC3015

Asked by SLC3015 at 8:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• So they thought he ate glass but he didn't? If they paid the medical bills I think I would let it go. Things do happen, and teachers & aides aren't always quick enough to prevent a child from hurting themselves. I'd say 1 incident in 10 yrs is a pretty good record, wouldn't you?

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• Why did they think he ate it?

Answer by louise2 at 8:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• Why seek legal action??? They did the right thing. They thought he ate something dangerous and did all the right steps. The was the 1st thing in 10 yrs!?
    Do I think you should seek legal action? Hell no. Do you have a case, slim.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 8:09 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• Did they ever find the glass? I guess I would let it go except WTF why didn't they call the ambulance first? Thats crazy.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 8:11 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• I understand how you feel, but the school did call you and you agreed that he should be sent to the hospital, as any mother would do. Be thankful they used precautions. What if they decided NOT to tell you and he did eat glass! Then you'd have a lawsuit.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 8:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• They thought he ate it cuz they found a small piece in his mouth but not the whole rest of the missing piece...if that makes sense....he was acting fine the whole time at the hospital except when it came time to put him under for the procedure...he went bat shit crazy!!!!...i was wondering about legal action because if they watched him...(which is an easy feat , because they have1 teacher, 4 aides, and 5 kids)...it would have never happened.....
    SLC3015

Comment by SLC3015 (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• We're all human and it's so easy to turn your back for a split second and something happens. Are you looking for a lawsuit?
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• I dont know.....thats what i was asking you guys...ive never dealt with this type of stuff before.....he was awful coming off the anesthesia....they used ketamine and jabbed him in the thigh..he felt it and they scratched his thigh with the needle....2 inch long scratch...this was all so much for him to go thru...
    SLC3015

Comment by SLC3015 (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• Things happen, I dont think you should. Like you said its the 1st time in 10 yrs and sometimes kids are just to fast for us.
    Are you sure all 5 adults were present at that moment?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• I am not sure what you would sue for. Accidents happen no matter how diligent people are. They followed proper procedures after the accident and did everything they could to help him. I don't think 1 accident in 10 years deserves a lawsuit. I am sorry he had to go through all that.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2012