What questions should I ask builder?

We're meeting with a builder on Monday to see if it's a possibility to have a house built within our price range. I want to go in to this meeting totally prepared and be able to ask the right questions. I've already got a list of questions for him. What questions would you ask? I've been thinking about this constantly so I need help with a fresh "set of eyes" to make sure that I got everything. I was already told by our realtor--she's worked with this builder many times--that he can have the house built in 60 days. Since USAA--the bank we're using--takes 45 days, there wouldn't be that much difference. I do also already know that there is a base price and it varies depending on the model that we would choose, then there are various upgrades that can be chosen and each of those cost a certain amount. Thanks in advance.

kasey22

Asked by kasey22 at 1:10 AM on Sep. 30, 2012 in Home & Garden

• Usually the trick is the permitting process. Also ask about warranties and what he subcontracts. Ask about the credentials of any subcontractors.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:12 AM on Sep. 30, 2012

• Do you own a lot? If not and you are interested in buying a lot in a planned community you will want to see the HOA rules (sometimes referred to as CC&R's). Find out what the terms of payment are, some builders require a construction loan where you pay interest on materials and work as it is being done. Ask them if they can provide you with a list of their subcontractors (check these independently through BBB and other review sources). Check the builder's status with BBB as well. Ask if automatic sprinklers are included in the price of the house if your community requires it (some do).
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:21 AM on Sep. 30, 2012

• Are you on the Builders Board?
    Who do you sub contract with
    Warranties on sub contractors work
    Right to fire sub contractors should they not work at your standard and builders responsibility for replacement subs
    Make sure to get all costs, quotes and finishing times in writing
    What is the Warranty AFTER house is built...House WILL settle...when ours did, frame on sliding door bent, had a hard time opening and closing door. Builder said the settling of the house was not covered on warranty. Went to Builders Board and our builder was the freaking president! So, we had to repair the door.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:40 AM on Sep. 30, 2012