Chalk board wall

Chalk board wall for the kids...good or bad idea? I saw on Pinterest how to make your own chalk board paint and was considering doing it for my kids' rooms in colors that will match their decor.

kasey22

Asked by kasey22 at 2:19 AM on Sep. 30, 2012 in Home & Garden

• Sorry, meooma, that it took longer to get it posted than I thought. It was a hectic day. Anyway, this is a link to the craft blog that has the directions. It has pictures and everything. She did hers in pink. http://thecsiproject.com/2011/02/09/honeysuckle-pink-chalkboard/. You just need the paint--she used acrylic paint--dry non-sanded grout, a bowl, and something to stir it with.
    kasey22

Comment by kasey22 (original poster) at 11:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2012

• That sounds like a fun idea.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 8:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2012

• I did it in our play room. When I was home on maternity leave 16 years ago, I saw Joan Steffand do a play room with it on HGTV and copied the room. We still use it when my kids need tutoring. DH takes them down to "his Lair" as he calls it and uses the chalkboard to help tutor the kids, mostly in math.

It makes a lot of dust from the chalk, so I don't recommend it for the bedroom. We did frame it out with moulding and dh made a ledge for the chalk and chalkboard eraser. I have to repaint it every 5 - 7 years. It gets a lot of use.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 11:05 AM on Sep. 30, 2012

• I'm on Kindle right now, but I'll get on my computer after church and post the directions for you.
    kasey22

Comment by kasey22 (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Sep. 30, 2012

• It would be a good idea. As long as you can get your kids to understand that, that is the only wall they can draw on.

Answer by louise2 at 5:31 AM on Sep. 30, 2012

• I think they are awesome. I want to do one for DS's room eventually. He would love it!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:49 AM on Sep. 30, 2012

• I had no idea you could make your own paint. I used some at fair to put up menu of the day and if I had all the items I need for the day.
    I used the commercialpain and it works fine.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:25 AM on Sep. 30, 2012