Is it too soon to let my 7 month old eat oranges from one of the Munchkin mesh bags to keep him from choking. I'm worried about too much acid.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would wait with any citrus food... it's a high allergen food and shouldn't ben given until after a year.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:56 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I would wait on anything acidic. We do steam apples, pears, bananas, avocados, peaches, stuff like that.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 11:56 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• There is no real science on food introduction. I think the four day rule is a good idea. I squeeze small amounts of OJ into baby cereal to aid in iron absorption. Some sites for reference.
    http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/best-first-food-for-baby.html

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/index.htm
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I would wait on the oranges. I use to take bananas and cut them up into chunks and use the plastic gerber containers and freeze them. Then I would take 1 or 2 pieces and put in the Mesh Feeder and my daughter would go nuts. I also did this with strawberries, peaches, apples, mango, blueberries, etc. You can also do the same thing with steamed veggies!
    MyMayBaby_Chloe

Answer by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 12:12 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I would hold off on all citrus. But I have experience with citrus reactions...ick.

My second son can't have citrus fruits. If he has say one gummy bear, he spends two days with the nastiest diarrhea ever. It is watery, and STINKS of citric acid. It smells horrible. And what it does to his butt...it literally BURNS his skin. He gets what looks like a rash, but it's not, it's BURNS.

After the second say, it's cleared up. And that's all just from one bite.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I meant a bite of fruit the size of a gummy bear or a bite of one of those types of citrus flavored fruit snacks...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I have a 2 year old and he LOVES oranges - but he is 2. Whenever we feed him oranges and he poops his butt will be burnt! The acid in the oranges causes him to burn and to get bad diaper rashes - like the worse rash you have ever seen. So definitely do not do this to a 7 month old. Go with the bananas, peaches, etc. - more low acidic foods.
    SuperBamaMom

Answer by SuperBamaMom at 3:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• ...my grandma gave my son an orange while i was at work (she did that often..grr..) anyways...he was almost 8 months...and had no bad reaction. (though I didn't let her do it again!) I feel more comfortable waiting until a year...but he had no problems with the orange slice she gave him. (And she didn't use the mesh thing I have...)
    srenee1988

Answer by srenee1988 at 5:02 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Orange is one of the high risk food.

Try banana!
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 5:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2009