formula

I have been BFing since my DD was born 51/2 months ago. I have just barely started supplementing with formula but I am having a hard time deciding on what kind of formula to feed her. I have been debating between organic milk based, soy or just milk based. She has had a couple servings of regular milk based but I worry that it contains hormones that the cows have been treated with. What is the best formula you have used and I don't care what it costs.....thanks

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 1:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when both my kids were 4 - 6 months we put them onto goats milk, aparently its easier to digest. go on somebody scald me...but im just saying wot i did.
    angelmomma2

Answer by angelmomma2 at 1:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I'd go with organic if you really want to use formula. But why not just give her 100% breast milk
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 1:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My supply has been decreasing in spite of supplements and pumping but I am working PRN at a surgery center and I worry that my supply in the freezer will run out. I will still pump at work and I give her Breastmilk 98% of the time its a just in case thing.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:18 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I'd stick with a milk based if she has no allergies. I think the soy should be reserved for those with milk allergies since we still don't know about the effects of massive amounts of the phyto-estrogens in soy products (I have boys, so it's more of an issue for me, but still...I dunno).

If cost is no object, there are some really nice organic products out there. There are organic, dairy-based formulas from Earth's Best, Baby's Only, Bright Beginnings, Similac, and I'm sure there are a few other smaller companies out there.

I think that since all will be subject to FDA regulations regarding the nutritive content in formulas, the main difference to think about is how easy it'll be for you to get it. Do you do your grocery shopping at a natural grocery store anyway? Then no problem. Or you could always order by the case online, which is a very cost-efficient way to go.

Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:44 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• i wouldn't give her soy unless you absolutely have to do so.
    stick with the milk based one, instead.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 2:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Usually babies start with the regular milk based formula and if it doesn't work out for them they switch to something else. If you're worried about the horomones in it than give her the organic milk based.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• The best formula is really the one YOUR BABY will take. That could be any variety. They're all much of a muchness.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• If you want to go organic just be careful because organic formula has been known to cause constipation. I had my son on enfamil with lipil and he did just fine, so thats the one I would recomend.
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 11:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2009