PMS in a 9 year old...Am I reading the signs wrong?

My daughter, who is nine and mature both mentally and phsically (primarily in height) for her age is displaying some signs of possibly having early on-set PMS. Do you think it is possible that she is gearing up to have her first period? Or am I over-reacting to the mood swings and other "signs" of PMS like her "sprouting" in the chest?

pr0udm0m_0f_3

Asked by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 1:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• First of all you need to realize that girls do not actually have PMS until a few years "after" they have started. I highly doubt any young girl just starting the menstration process is seriously going to PMS.... Remember PMS is not JUST mood swings its other things as well. Hormones make us moody, and we do not have to have PMS to have hormones making us moody. Some girls change right away, some girls take a few years before they actually bleed rather than spot.... You have to remember, when they start their first menstration, it isn't like they are doing the full cycle as an older woman, that takes time to develope.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 1:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• what does it matter if it is pms or not.? shes still moody and 9 yrs old. does pms or not pms warrant a different reaction?
    angelmomma2

Answer by angelmomma2 at 1:17 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• she could be getting ready to start having periods. i had my first period at nine.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 1:44 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I don't know for sure what you call it....but I will say that I have noticed that girls who are starting puberty and getting ready to start their periods do seem to get moody and cranky and somewhat impatient and emotional. Like I said, I don't know what you call it, but it does seem real to me! I am sure the hormones do start circulating...and that is a lot to adjust to. It is hard for very young girls like that to already have to deal with developing while they are still little kids in so many ways!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 1:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I read that girls get their periods two years after their chests start developing. But I'm not sure about the PMS, never thought about that. It's possible though. 9 just seems so young!! I didn't get my period until I was 12 or 13.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• could very well be her gearing up to have her first period, I had my first period at age 9, and started puberty ( budding boobs, pubic hair etc..) at around age 8.
    so it is possible.
    kids nowadays are starting puberty younger and younger, 9 almost seems to be the norm nowadays in my opinion, sad though really...
    I would say inform her now before it starts happening, because at age 8-9, my mom felt no need to talk to me about such things ( she didnt think I would start puberty so young) and I hasd no idea what was happening and was scared.
    AshleyRoseG

Answer by AshleyRoseG at 1:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I started at 9, so anything is possible.
    Anonymous

• I truly believe my dd started pms'n at 9 or 10 yrs. She started to develop at 9 too. She started menstruating at 11...heavily I might add. I actually took her to the doc to discuss her heavy flow. He said give it a few...we'll see if she "regulates". She's going to be 14 in May....shes fine. A 3 day period now...every month...like me..yay!

Yes....start talking with her now about it. My dd had a hard time adjusting to the whole deal.....pms, periods, babies, etc. Of course I didn't give it to her all at once..but, I know...it was all going thru her mind at once. ~Good Luck mama~
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 4:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I really do believe that she is getting ready for her first period. Cause I am going thru the same thing now. My daughter is 9 and she is the daughte from beyond someday lol. And I ak the doctor and it is the onset of. Her getting her first period and puberty soon. So you are not alone.
    mommykimmy1967

Answer by mommykimmy1967 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I agree with AshleyRoseG, regardless of whether she is or may be soon, you definitely want to talk to her now. My niece was 11, and called me because she was "dying" and "bleeding everywhere". I calmed her down and said, Honey, do you remember when we talked about periods? Then she was elated that she had gotten her period! LOL! Anyway, let her know what's coming so that she can let you know w/o being scared!!!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:44 PM on Feb. 8, 2009