How to explain a vegetarian?

I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years now. Not because of beliefs or because of a cause, just my personal preference. I also have two children, ages 2 and 4, who are fairly good eaters. I have not told my kids for fear they may want to give up meat too. But now it's becoming harder to hide it. How do I explain my choice without them wanting to stop eating certain foods? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

HeatherLD

Asked by HeatherLD at 1:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I wouldn't say anything unless they asked. And when they do just say Mommy doesn't like to eat that, but you should. Something along those lines. If they choose to not eat it because mommy doesn't, that probably won't last very long.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• If they ask you, just tell them you don't like the particular food they ask about...which is more likely to be a singular meat than meat in general. Tell them that people have different tastes, and just like they don't like (fill in the blank), you don't care for chicken, or beef or whatever. My SIL is a vegetarian, but her kids both love meat.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Do you have to explain anything to them at all? Why not just eat the way you want to (you're not doing anything unhealthy or setting a bad example) and just answer questions IF they ask. I'm sure from eating with you daily they've noticed you never have had meat on your plate (I'm not sure how you can hide that you don't eat meat). Honestly, if my mother had told me that she is a vegetarian, it wouldn't have made me not want to eat meats lol. I love me some chicken and could never give up seafood. If they decide not to eat meat anymore, is it that bad? It's possible to have a very balanced and healthy diet without having meats at all.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• If the kids like the food, they will eat. I dont' see why you fear to let them know you dont' eat meat.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 5:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• why hide? If they question explain to them you don't eat meat. My 15 yo went vegetarian two months ago. As a family we have accepted it but the grandparents are having a hard time with it. It's her choice and we don't harp.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 9, 2009