I have a 17 month old who wakes up sometimes in the middle of the night, is it bad that I give him 4-5oz. of milk to calm him down? I try to offer water but most of the time he won't take it

NicksMom11385

Asked by NicksMom11385 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• this is the best way to do it i assure you. if they are used to getting milk and you havent got the heart for cold turkey then supplement 1 oz of the 5 with water and keep on doing so, each night or two make it weaker and weaker until your child does end up wwith water..this will also help them get used to not needed to fill their bellies also.
    angelmomma2

Answer by angelmomma2 at 1:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I know this sounds kinda mean but don't give him anything. When he wakes up just calmly put him back in his bed until he stays there. Whatever you do is what they are going to ge used to then they'll never be able to get themselves back to sleep. My son always woke up and came in my bed and now he's 4 and I have to break him of sleeping in my bed. If you keep giving your son something to drink every night, he's going to get used to it and wake up just to get it. Try giving him a cup of milk before he goes to bed each night to keep him full and so he sleeps all night. Hope you don't get offended and hope everything works out!
    dhalinka

Answer by dhalinka at 1:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Well, he's used to the milk and that's what he wants. So when you give him water, of course he throws a fit and refuses it. It's not what he wants. Just like when you offer him peas instead of cookies. Is it bad for him? It is bad for his teeth, spending half the night soaking in milk sugars.
    What to do?
    You can thin it down over a week or so until it is just water. He may then quit waking at all since it's not worth it. If he still wakes, try putting a sippy cup in his bed. When he wakes for the water, show him the sippy cup. After a few nights, he may just wake up and get his cup on his own.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• yes, it is bad. It 's bad for his teeth for one, and you don't want to make it a routie. No one will get any sleep.

If you think he is really hungry, then you can give him couple oz of milk before the bedtime. Otherwise, i think you should just give him water instead.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 5:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• You do what works. Brush his teeth and keep them as clean as you can. This is fine in my book.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:22 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• It just sounds like a habbit to me. He needs to learn to sooth himself with out the milk. I wouldent give him anything. unless you like getting up in the middle of the night. As soon as he realizes hes not getting the milk it will stop.
    AmberLou226

Answer by AmberLou226 at 1:22 AM on Feb. 9, 2009