I think my 4 month old is getting the cold my dh and I had. Help please?

Ok, so for the past couple of weeks my dh and I have been sick. I get it every year, he does most years. Stuffy nose, drainage, which leads to a horrible cough, so then for like a month, after the cold itself has passed we sound like we're coughing up our lungs or something lol. Anyway, now my baby has a stuffy nose, she's been sneezing more than usual and now she's coughing. She sounds so pitiful and I don't know what to do for her to help. This is my first baby, so I'm a bit lost. Any advice/tips on what I can do to make her feel better, please? Thanks in advance!

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 1:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Elevate her head.
    Steam in the bathroom and suction.
    Saline nose drops at each diaper change and suction if needed (not needed every time)
    Run a humidifier (cool mist or steam whichever works better for her) in her room.
    Tylenol for discomfort.

Don't suction unless you can SEE stuff. Too much suctioning can lead to the nasal passages becoming inflamed and make it difficult for her to breathe.

Watch for fever (they don't always get one with a cold).
    Watch for difficulty breathing if the cold worsens.
    It's usually the worst for the first 3-5 days and lasts about 2 weeks.
    When in doubt...call the doctor.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Put a cool mist humidifier wherever she sleeps and Vicks makes a babyrub that you can put on their chest. it helped my DD when she was congested. However if she has a fever for more than a day or two and it goes over 99 or 100, I would give her tylenol and take her to the doctor.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:40 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• my son was the same way , i got sick and a week or so later he did . a doc is only going to tell you keep up with the motrin and a humidifier or vaporizer if you have one . i did just that and now hes better , good luck and i hope she feels better .
    colbysmommie95

Answer by colbysmommie95 at 1:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• a cool mist humidifier in the room, rub back & chest w. baby vics, they have a saline mist spray
    you can use it as often as you like, that really in itself worked for my daughter and don't forget to pump her nose not to often but a couple times a day . The saline worked the best along with the above. Oh I forgot to mention coughing is a way to clear out mucus. Be sure to let him sleep elevated we did this in her swing, we found when we layed her down in her crib got worse, so elevate. I hope he gets better soon, mine had this for about 2 weeks, however she had a viral bronchitis. May be good to a least let the dr check that out because that can turn inti rsv.......
    Anonymous

• vicks makes these really neat vaporizers. you put a pad in and plug into the wall. i know it helps my little ones when they are sick. keep the asperator close and just try and keep her comfy....... they also make these things you can put under one side of a crib thatll elevate one side. short side not long. lmao. other than that you have to just let it work its way out. your little one will have about a dozen colds or so in the first year. do what ya can and if in doubt ask the doc.
    newmamaof3

Answer by newmamaof3 at 2:18 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I remember my son's 1st cold...I think I cried, I was so worried because it seemed he couldn't breathe and he had a hard time eating, I feel for ya! Like the above stated, I used saline drops for the nose to loosen the mucus and then sucked it out with the booger sucker. My son slept upright in his carseat or with me holding him in the recliner on the really bad nights. You have to be cautious and listen for wheezing and look for retraction (under their rib cage sucks in) those can be signs of a more serious issue with the lungs like pnemonia. Also monitor temp regularly and be sure baby gets enough fluids. If baby rejects bottle or only drinks small amounts at a time you may have to feed more often to make up for lost ounces. If you have any concerns call your Dr. but hopefully it will pass without a major issue......Best wishes to you and baby to get well soon : )
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 2:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I put my son in his carseat to sleep...it helped him breath better. :) Good luck, and remember...it's only temporary. :)
    srenee1988

Answer by srenee1988 at 5:00 PM on Feb. 8, 2009