How would you have disciplined? am i going over bored?

Ok so we went to interm pick ups for my 2nd grader on Thursday she isn't doing good inn school at all I honestly don't think she is even trying. Teacher says that she doesn't complete assignments on time and she got a well below average on all of her subjects so I grounded her she is not allowed to ride her bike, isn't allowed to go to friends or stay the night anywhere, and I took away tv until she starts doinnng better in school. Is this being to hard on her? I don't want to not do anything then her thinking it is ok.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 AM on Oct. 1, 2012 in General Parenting

• I would have definately grounded her. I would also have thrown in an hour of study time every night. Different subject each night, but she has to be studying something.. She needs to know that her education is not something you're willing to go easy on. If she doesnt "get it" thats one thing, but if shes simply not putting in the effort, thats not acceptable. I think you're doing a fine job!
    toughluck08

Answer by toughluck08 at 7:24 AM on Oct. 1, 2012

• i'm not surprised she isn't doing well in school. perhaps you should try studying with her, rather than punishing her. maybe you can both learn a few things.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:25 AM on Oct. 1, 2012

• i would have grounded my girls for it education is very important and she needs to understand that......i agree with pp ASwell i think some study time would be a good idea
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 7:29 AM on Oct. 1, 2012

• I would have tried finding out why this is happening to see if there was any way I could help her before punishing her. At that age she needs structure and order to learn.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 7:35 AM on Oct. 1, 2012

• Dull I do study with her
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:36 AM on Oct. 1, 2012

• After reading your other post, I'm curious as to why scouts are still being allowed. THAT would have been the first thing to go until her grades come up.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:51 AM on Oct. 1, 2012

• Sometimes a lot that goes on at home can spill over into school. Maybe take a look at what's going on at home, maybe she's really unorganized, her rooms a mess, the house is in chaos. etc etc... It can all play a part in how she approaches her school work.
    I found that keeping our 10 yr old son very organized, it helps him stay on task at school.
    Maybe make out a homework sheet, and have the teacher sign it, and you sign it everyday, so she has to be sure to get the assignment done, and it has to be checked, and signed off on once it's turned in. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:03 AM on Oct. 1, 2012

• In 2nd grade I wouldn't ground for grades. At that point I think a lot of it is still on the parents. Were you not checking her homework, do they not have an agenda with their assignments that you sign each night? If not, get one! At that age I think it's unreasonable to hold them completely accountable for their grades. My kids are in 6th and 7th grades and I definitely have consequences for anything less than an A, but when they were in 2nd grade we were still doing homework together at the table. (I also have a special needs son in 9th grade and a 2 and almost 4 yo, so I know it's hard to find time)

Answer by missanc at 9:10 AM on Oct. 1, 2012

• My son got in trouble for not doing a project in 2nd grade and he was grounded 2 weeks and lost all video games for 2 months. I got rid of my TV service in June, and my boys don't miss it anymore. It seemed like they never wanted to do anything else but watch TV, and when there was a power outage they acted like they couldn't think of a single thing to do and they had just been sentenced to a life of boredom. When I had to force them to go play outside and get exercise, that was the final straw, goodbye TV. Since I got rid of all TV service, they are more like the kids when I was growing up. They play pretend and boardgames, want to go outside all the time, read tons of books, get excited for family time; its the best parenting decision I ever made!
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 9:14 AM on Oct. 1, 2012

• Meooma
    Yes I do check her homework and yes she does read each night I have noticed she has to sound out a lot of words and her spelling I will tell her a wordd she writes it down as a pre test and she does miss a lot of the words when she misses them I do however make her writ them 5 times each. The assignments she isn't finishing are the ones in class
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:37 AM on Oct. 1, 2012