Sociology Experiments

I need some help regarding ideas for a class I'm taking. I'm a senior in high school. For my sociology class we have a project to do an "Experiment". I'm doing a video, but I don't know of what!

Any good ideas?

I've done google searches, asked friends, and I've got nothing!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• What are the guidelines that the teacher has set down, as far as what sort of experiment you need to do? Is the video supposed to be of you doing the experiment, or is it in some way supposed to be the experiment?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:51 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• It's just pretty much to show how the subjects we are studying in sociology come up in present day things. like conformity, anger issues, etc. it's of other people, like a documentary i guess.
    Anonymous

• Ok, if it's on conformity, and if you're allowed to have help with it - how about something like this -

Get together a couple of outfits, such as really preppy, really punk, jock, goth, nerdy, someone really poor, etc. Have the same person, or, maybe better, a couple of people, and dress them up in these outfits and take their pictures.

Then, go to the mall or somewhere (get permission from the mall first), and take your video camera and explain to people that you're doing a sociology project, and were wondering if they would be willing to look at some pictures and tell you what their first impression of each person is. Explain that you would need their response on video for your project.

Then show them the pictures and do a project on their responses towards each outward appearance.

If you can't do this at the mall, maybe you could get your teachers or school board to do it, since it's for a class.

Good luck
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• well one i did when i was in school was to go to a car dealer one day dressed in my ratty old jeans with my hair in a pony tail and just a plain t shirt on and see how they treated me then a week later go back all dressed up nice chlotse well done hair make up jewlery the whole nine yards and i was shocked at the differance in how i got treated
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 7:11 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• That's perfect! I think we're going to do like jajamama said but not with a car dealership, like go into Eastview Mall (expensive mall) and go into the Coach store and see thier reactions and stuff.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the idea Saliorwifenmom!
    Anonymous

• You could stand at a public place say like a grocery store entrance and just say Hello and Good Bye to people just to see how they react to someone being nice to them.
    Anonymous